cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-digit input in IVR

RichD
Listener

Hi,

I have a growing department that needs each member accessible via the auto-receptionist. Currently we have a recording that lists each person's name and the key to press to reach them. But this is becoming burdensome to maintain, the callers have to listen to a long prompt,  and as they grow, we are going to run out of the default 12 digits that are provided.

So we want to give each person a 2-digit number and ask the caller to enter the number of the party they are trying to reach. This would significantly shorten the prompt and be much easier to maintain.

My problem is that I cannot see how to allow for a 2-digit input. Without this, this plan is sunk. I have worked with Fuze and Five9 and both allow this, so what am I missing?

Thanks.

Rich.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

beardbrad
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

That is an option, but what I'm saying is that Zoom's IVR always allows for callers to type in the extension of the party they are trying to reach. You can make the extensions three digits long and say in your audio prompt "Please type in the extension of who you are looking to reach". If you'd like to have it verbally list out every person, what you just described is a good workaround. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi Rich,

As far as I know, the IVR Menu only allows for single digit entry plus * and #.  Although it is not specifically what you are thinking about, have you considered hooking in a Dial-by-Name action as one of the IVR menu keys? 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360044452031-Creating-a-dial-by-name-directory

I hope that helps!

Craig

Craig,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we have considered a dial-by-name, but that seems like a long way around to get to something as simple as "enter the extension of the party you wish to reach" scenario that we are looking for.

We are really hoping that there is something simple that we can do to make this work.  😞 I guess we'll dig into the dial-by-name a bit more and see where we get with that.

Thanks.

Rich.

beardbrad

Rich,

You can type in the extension of the person in the IVR to reach them. The caveat is that Zoom does not allow 2 digit extensions, but you could set everyone up with a digit digit extension and go from there.

Brad

FORE-Craig

That would give him essentially what he wants. Great idea, Brad!

Craig

Brad,

So if I understand what you're saying, I would assign digit 1 to go to a new AR and then that one would route to the first 10 people. If I exceed that, I would create a new AR for digit 2 in the original AR, etc?

If so, this will allow me to accomplish my goal.

Thanks.

Rich.

beardbrad

That is an option, but what I'm saying is that Zoom's IVR always allows for callers to type in the extension of the party they are trying to reach. You can make the extensions three digits long and say in your audio prompt "Please type in the extension of who you are looking to reach". If you'd like to have it verbally list out every person, what you just described is a good workaround. 

Brad,

Perfect! We don't use the extensions for anything now, so to assign them a 3-digit extension will be doable and simplify the IVR considerably.

Thank you!

Rich.

FORE-Craig

You're welcome, Rich!

Craig