cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linux Zoom client missing emojis (again)

Zander
Listener

There is currently no way to use emojis in Zoom on the latest linux Mint. The emojis menu has a download updated emojis button which doesn’t appear to do anything.

Linux Mint 21 Vanessa (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Debian bookworm/sid),  Zoom for Linux version 5.14.7 (2928).

10 REPLIES 10

rocketraman
Listener

Doesn't work on Fedora either. Same issue.

Works for me too, thanks !

Sorry for my stupid question...

But how can I install this from github?

KR

From the GIST:

Copy to $XDG_CONFIG_DIR/fontconfig/conf.d/57-add-emoji-support.conf
  Run fc-cache -f

Basically, just create a file in `$XDG_CONFIG_DIR/fontconfig/conf.d/57-add-emoji-support.conf` with the contents of the GIST file, and then run `fc-cache -f`

hello, thank you very much for the code, that's really great! but how exactly does it work? I haven't been working with Linux for long.
Thank you

HANC
Listener

Same on Kubuntu 22.04 w/ Zoom v5.15.3

kbjunk
Listener

Similar to the reply from rocketraman, I use Fedora 37 KDE and have the same issue.

I discovered that every time I click the "Download Emoji" button, a new file named "emojione_low_20211026.zip" is downloaded to ~/.zoom/data. I have access to a Windows machine which also has the Zoom client and the content of the aforementioned .zip file is present on that Windows machine. I unzipped the content of "emojione_low_20211026.zip" into the ~/.zoom/data directory. I had a better experience during the next Zoom meeting from my Fedora computer but not complete. Emoji would appear most of the time but only when other members of the meeting used them. I still could not pick Emoji from any menu. Instead, I would get the same "Download Emoji" button.

It would be great to get a Zoom developer to see this thread.

kbjunk
Listener

Similar to other users, an update seems to have made a positive impact. I'm not sure if it was the new Zoom client for Linux (September 18, 2023 version 5.16.0 (8131)) or a patch released for Fedora 37. Whatever the case, I now have Emoji in Zoom.

Glynn
Listener

Still broken for me in Linux Mint 21.2, fresh download from Zoom website today. Can see some emojis but no button to raise hand during meetings