cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Backgrounds Linux (Client v5.7.6 29123.0808)

muon
Listener

I am using the Linux Zoom Client (v5.7.6 29123.0808) and the Virtual Background setting simply does not work: the only setting that works is None (which shows the camera). All other settings result in a black screen regardless of whether or not green screen has been checked off. (Before v5.7.6 background pictures could be shown with a colour selected --not even this works. I am not using a green screen.) There are no messages output saying such cannot be used. In the zoom.us web UI virtual backgrounds is enabled (and I have tried this with same result using more than one  account).

My hardware: CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3955WX 16-Cores; Video: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 14 [Radeon Pro W5500]

10 REPLIES 10

muon
Listener

I have tried manually downloading the zoom_x86_64.tar.xz file from the Zoom Download Center ( https://zoom.us/download ) for Other Linux OS --and it works if one runs "ZoomLauncher". Directly running Zoom outputs:

zoom started.
Client: Breakpad is using Single Client Mode! client fd = -1
./zoom: symbol lookup error: /home/muon/Downloads/z/zoom/imageformats/libqsvg.so: undefined symbol: _Z
dlPvm, version Qt_5

onlyfools
Listener

+1

I can check 'I have a green screen' (which obviously I don't) and get a broken background image, or I can leave it unchecked and get just black if I select anything other than 'none' for virtual background. have tried multiple accounts/logging out and in after enabling

zoom v: 5.8.4.210 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

video: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

amarintj1986
Listener

I have exactly the same problem with the snap Telegram Version 5.9... it used to work before.

I have Ubuntu 20.04 ... Intel core i5

ademkucukoglu
Listener

I have same problem with Ubuntu 20.04 . Do you still have the same problem?

muon
Listener

I have found it is best to download the .tar.gz Linux release from Zoom's website and to run that instead of using packages distributed with various Linux distributions. While this requires manually updating those packages and adding a menu item to easily run Zoom, doing this appears enables everything to work properly.

(To fix far too big windows when using 4K monitors under KDE start Zoom using a script running with this QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.5 $HOME/sw/zoom/ZoomLauncher "$@" to reduce the size by 50%.)

It worked on my computer, Thanks a lot. 😄

Hello Can you please help me with that? I am unable to make it work.  If you could help me step by step that would greatly help 😞 I am not quite pro on using Linux

There's no need to complicate yourself with a tar file. Just download the official .deb and install it. It should work fine. The bugs are patched already

Thank you for your response.  I already did so, downloaded the deb with the key from Zoom website

Version: 5.11.0 (3540) but I cannot use background and it is required for my new job.  I have tried for the past 4 hours to make it work, unsuccessfully.  Can you or someone please guide me on how to make it work?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>Update:  Nevermind, made it work on version 5.10.6 (3192) but it is not working properly as it is a system requirement to have a green screen per Zoom specifications for Linux users:  https://support.zoom.us/hc/es/articles/360043484511-Requisitos-del-sistema-para-el-fondo-virtual#h_c...
Thanks!

I'm glad it's working now 👍🏼