cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Background on linux with an i7 7600U?

wederer
Listener

Hi!

I had to find out that zoom does not support virtual backgrounds on linux for my CPU (i5-5200U).

After some googling I found the requirements page here: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360043484511-System-requirements-for-Virtual-Background which says that on Linux I would need an i7 with 4 cores or more.

I am currently looking to upgrade my laptop to another Laptop with an i7 7600U which only has 2 cores, but 4 threads.

Can anybody report if the virtual background feature worked for them on a similar CPU?

Thanks!

Best Regards

Wolfgang

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wederer
Listener

So the T470s with the i7-7600U supports virtual backgrounds. Appearently the 4 cores do not necessarily  be physical.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @wederer 

I'm not sure specifically for your case - but in other areas in Zoom where i7 Quad Core is required (like 1080p for example) I have always found the 4 core requirement to be stringent  (physical cores).

Rupert

wederer
Listener

So the T470s with the i7-7600U supports virtual backgrounds. Appearently the 4 cores do not necessarily  be physical.

MrHelmut56
Listener

Hi, I am using now Zoom version 5.9.3 for Ubuntu, but the virtual background doesn't work.
It is not specified in detail in the help tutorial (under linux) what kind of preconditions are needed;
I am using I5 and are able to speed up to 4,5 GHz.

Kind regards,
Helmut