cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen sharing automatically paused when playing Mac Keynote presentation

chrisatucla
Listener

Has anyone run into this issue recently? Any fixes? I'm using the latest MacOS & Zoom. Recently, Zoom will pause the screen sharing if you run Mac Keynote presentation & you can't resume sharing. Help.

14 REPLIES 14

RV46
Listener

Also a keynote problem: Keynote advances fine until a latecomer is admitted.  Then keynote won't advance.  I can describe the next five slides and then keynote advances again.  Another latecomer admitted and another freeze.  

Someone suggested opening Zoom.  Go to upper left corner of computer, click zoom.us, click preferences, go to screen share, go to bottom of list to advances, check use TCP.  Then restart computer.  Some said it worked for them.  It didn't for me.  Maybe you will have  luck.

6fbc
Listener

I have had the same problem. It is not a keynote issue, but a ZOOM problem. I hope someone from ZOOM will answer us with a solution.

mariejcoste
Listener

I have this same problem. Out of the blue - Zoom started automatically pausing the screen share when I click Play in Keynote and I cannot resume the share I can only stop share. What is the solution Zoom Please???

Quinnovator
Listener

Have successfully presented via Keynote & Zoom for years. Suddenly, it's not working, with sharing suspended, and the 'resume sharing' button not working. The article on the site talks about a Preferences option that's not there (new version of Keynote? Zoom?). Need a fix! 

Solved: First in Keynote preferences > slideshow, you need to ensure that 'allow app switching' is set (rollover, it has the prose that used to be on preference). THEN, you also need to have the keynote file to have 'hide extension' set. Long story, weird solution, but it works. 

Where do I find the "hide extension" option?

Right click on the file for Get Info, go to Name & Extension and hit the checkbox. This fix just worked for me.

HQ2600X
Listener

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AND IT'S SEPTEMBER NOW!!!! READING TO FIND THE CURE!!!

postarth
Listener

Late November and I have the same problem. I tend to screen share Youtube videos. The share works fine until I click the full screen icon in the lower right of the Youtube window, at which time I get Zoom's yellow-orange bar that says screen sharing is paused.

HQ2600X
Listener

I found a workaround: when zoom asks for the screen share destination, if you click desktop and then find the application from your desktop screen, it miraculously glides right through the entire presentation with links and all quite properly.  I can't tell you why it works that way, but I can tell you that for me, it works and that is my solution as I am teaching and conducting my classes!!

Thank you!!! This worked for me too.

renuka-apte
Listener

The only workaround I've found is to first play the slideshow and then share that window. No other workarounds have worked for me (aside from sharing the whole desktop).

Markwood
Listener

If your screen sharing session pauses automatically when you play a Keynote presentation on a Mac, it could be due to a few different factors. Here are some potential causes and solutions:

1. Bandwidth limitations: If you have a slow or unstable internet connection, screen sharing may automatically pause when you start playing a Keynote presentation, especially if the presentation includes high-resolution images or videos. Try pausing the presentation and waiting for a few moments to see if the screen sharing session resumes. If not, consider upgrading your internet connection or using a wired Ethernet connection instead of Wi-Fi.

2. Keynote settings: Keynote may be set up to pause screen sharing automatically when you start a presentation. To check this, open Keynote and go to Preferences > Slideshow. Make sure that the "Pause screen sharing" option is unchecked.

3. Screen sharing settings: If you're using a third-party screen sharing tool, check the settings to make sure that Keynote is allowed to share its content. Some screen sharing tools may have a separate setting for sharing applications or windows, so make sure that Keynote is selected.

4. Compatibility issues: Some screen sharing tools may not be fully compatible with Keynote or certain versions of macOS. Check the screen sharing tool's documentation or support forums to see if there are any known issues or workarounds.

If none of these solutions work, you may need to contact the support team for your screen sharing tool or Keynote for further assistance......

Travidal
Listener

Check that the Keynote file is on your physical computer's hard drive and not opened from a virtual location like Dropbox, etc. For some reason, files opened from a remote source can cause this issue.