cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Randomly Select an Active Participant

skeller
Listener

Is there a way to randomly select an active participant during a live Zoom meeting? I would like to use this to randomly select students during class but also to hold live raffles during parent/community meetings.

Thanks for the help!

Seth 

7 REPLIES 7

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @skeller welcome to the community! Do you mind elaborating on the functionality you're looking for by randomly selecting an active participant? Active Speaker View is a video layout option during a meeting that detects who is actively speaking into the microphone when it is unmuted.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

This is when you have a conversational meeting and want all participants to speak up. If I understand correctly one use case is for when a professor wants his/her students to answer questions and doesn't want the same person to answer all questions.

My personal scenario is similar - during weekly calls we go through different topics and I need different people to go through the topics, not the same ones.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Zornitsa13 gotcha - thank you for clarifying further.

As the host, depending on how you are interacting with your participants in the meeting you could leverage 'spotlighting' for everyone and the raise-hand feature.

If there is more than one participant raising their hand when the professor asks the question and calls out to use the 'raise-hand' feature, you could leverage 'spotlighting' the participant to answer the question.

If none of your participants raise their hands, you could simply spotlight and call on a participant at random. There are a couple of workarounds - just one with the features of spotlighting and raising hands.

You could also use polling for anonymous voting before answering the question, and then as the professor, call out to a participant in the meeting to possibly further clarify why this is right or wrong. Just throwing ideas around 🙂

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

I'd like to choose a random winner from current attendees. Is that a feature available to me?

This would be so helpful

kellydonahuepir
Listener

We use it for training it would help people stay on their toes!

Same!