cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emoji rarely displayed properly on Linux

greg0ire
Listener

When using Zoom on Manjaro Linux, simple emoji are displayed properly (although they are in black and white), and more complicated emoji such as 😬 or 🤣, which are replaced with squares as shown in the attached screenshot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

greg0ire
Listener

Issue resolved with the latest version of zoom 😀

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @greg0ire, suggest uninstalling Zoom by running the following command in the terminal. This will also remove all dependencies not required by other installed applications.

sudo pacman -Rs zoom

And reinstalling using the package manager from here, and let me know if that helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Yea, it WAS working ok with Black and White Emoji's on LMDE 5 for me until the latest update from ZOOM. Version: 5.10.6 (2943)...   I've tried un-installing, Purging and re-installing..  Installing an older version from Repositories, and still nothing.  It' interesting that the Emoji's show up properly when I paste them into the meeting chat window, but now don't display an Emoji AT ALL.  ...

But they do show up in the General Chat window...

At least before the latest update, I had Black and White emoji's in the meeting chat. Now I've got their description. 

:person_raising_hand:️  and not  - 🙋️  Etc, and it really looks like crap and hard to read.

LMDE 5 AKA Linux Mint Debian Edition 5.  -

Same problem here, I'm on Fedora 36

greg0ire
Listener

Hi RN, sorry I didn't see your answer before… it did not help!

Here is what I did:

sudo pacman -Rs zoom
[sudo] password for gregoire:
checking dependencies...
:: pulseaudio optionally requires pulseaudio-alsa: ALSA configuration (recommended)

Packages (3) ibus-1.5.25-5 pulseaudio-alsa-1:1.2.6-1 zoom-5.9.1.1380-1

Total Removed Size: 231,61 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n]
:: Processing package changes...
(1/3) removing zoom [########################################################################################] 100%
run post uninstall script, action is 5.9.1.1380-1 ...
(2/3) removing pulseaudio-alsa [########################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) removing ibus [########################################################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/8) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/8) Updating the MIME type database...
(3/8) Updating system dconf databases...
(4/8) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(5/8) Probing GTK2 input method modules...
(6/8) Probing GTK3 input method modules...
(7/8) Updating icon theme caches...
(8/8) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

sudo pacman -U zoom_x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) ibus-1.5.25-5 pulseaudio-alsa-1:1.2.6-1 zoom-5.9.1.1380-1

Total Installed Size: 231,61 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
:: Retrieving packages...
ibus-1.5.25-5-x86_64 is up to date
pulseaudio-alsa-1:1.2.6-1-x86_64 is up to date
(3/3) checking keys in keyring [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/3) checking package integrity [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/3) loading package files [########################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking for file conflicts [########################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) checking available disk space [########################################################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/3) installing pulseaudio-alsa [########################################################################################] 100%
(2/3) installing ibus [########################################################################################] 100%
(3/3) installing zoom [########################################################################################] 100%
run post install script, action is 5.9.1.1380-1...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/8) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/8) Updating the MIME type database...
(3/8) Updating system dconf databases...
(4/8) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
(5/8) Probing GTK2 input method modules...
(6/8) Probing GTK3 input method modules...
(7/8) Updating icon theme caches...
(8/8) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...

nudger
Listener

Hi, I ran into the same issue, installing different fonts with emoji support did not fix it for me.

I also tried to install the emoji library from the chat-tab, which enabled the use of more, but not all emoji in that tab, but did not enhance the support for emoji in the meetings chat.

The behavior is consistent across the AUR version, Flatpak and snap for me.

Line_Noise
Listener

I'm using Ubuntu. I download the deb package from Zoom and install using "dpkg -i". Emoji almost never work. I just get pages and pages of people sending boxes to me. See attached.

Andreas201
Listener

Reinstalled from different sources, the issue did not change. Using Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

I not even have boxes. Just empty white places in the emoij selection and in the reactions to messages as well.

I am now on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and Zoom Version: 5.12.2 (4816)

The problem still persists

greg0ire
Listener

Issue resolved with the latest version of zoom 😀

Updated to 5.13.4 (711) for me the problem still persists on Ubuntu 22.05.1 LTS, gnome 42.5 running with xorg instead of wayland

I'm using 5.13.5

Did another update to 5.13.5 (431) the problem still persists

Then I guess you should open a separate ticket: we were having the same symptoms, but might have had different causes for it.

mmjoliver
Listener

I can't see any emojis either.  5.13.5.431 on Ubunto 20.04.5  I just installed zoom 5.13.7.683 and will check on my next call.

Zander
Listener

Still broken. Linux Mint 21 Vanessa (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, Debian bookworm/sid),  Zoom for Linux version 5.14.7 (2928). Come on, @Anonymous this can't be that hard to fix..!

Since this issue already has an accepted solution (which no longer works), I created a new ticket for same issue in latest Zoom version: https://community.zoom.com/t5/Meetings/linux-Zoom-client-missing-emojis-again/td-p/120960 

acascais
Listener

Same problem here: Manjaro 6.1.29 and Zoom 5.14.7

I press "download emojis" and nothing happens. When people react with emojis, I can't see them.

Exactly the same issue for me with Ubuntu 20.04 and Zoom 5.14.7.

Can anyone from the Zoom team at least help with some manual steps to follow?

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS and previously had this issue with Zoom 5.14.5 (installed with `dpkg -i zoom_amd64.deb`). I just installed the latest version 5.14.10 (with `apt install ./zoom_amd64.deb`), and this seemed to work.

mmacferrin
Listener

Having the same issue here, on Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS. Upgraded Zoom from 5.13.5.431 to 5.15.7.6521 and it still doesn't work. Emojis are all blank if others post them. I cannot see any of mine.  I clicked "download emojis" at the prompt and nothing happened. If I try to use an emoji in my own chat post it just posts a little spinning icon indefinitely but nothing actually loads.

I help run large meetings & trainings with large chat-room discussions, and being able to see folks' reactions to posts in the Chat is actually helpful, would love to get this fixed.