cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation tool - Chromebook and Macbook

mrshunterruns
Listener

Hello! I have a few students using Chromebooks and Macbooks. They cannot find their annotation tool. Can anyone provide guidance on this? 

Amanda Hunter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @mrshunterruns , 

Unfortunately, annotation is not available for all our Zoom's methods of joining a meeting. Checking the client comparison chart, annotation is not available for ChromeOS or the web client, which is the most likely explanation for your students on Chromebooks, as those are the main 2 ways to join a meeting on a Chromebook. Those students on Macbooks may also be using the web client, instead of the full desktop client. 

For the macbook students, I'd suggest they download and install the desktop client. 
For those on Chromebooks, a workaround would be to have them install the Android version of Zoom on their Chromebook. Google has instructions on how to do that. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Bort

Hi @mrshunterruns , 

Unfortunately, annotation is not available for all our Zoom's methods of joining a meeting. Checking the client comparison chart, annotation is not available for ChromeOS or the web client, which is the most likely explanation for your students on Chromebooks, as those are the main 2 ways to join a meeting on a Chromebook. Those students on Macbooks may also be using the web client, instead of the full desktop client. 

For the macbook students, I'd suggest they download and install the desktop client. 
For those on Chromebooks, a workaround would be to have them install the Android version of Zoom on their Chromebook. Google has instructions on how to do that. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

Thank you!

Amanda Hunter

Hi, can you tell me if I can annotate from a PC on a shared screen? I am the host and the teacher, student is sharing his screen on a chromebook, can I annotate on his screen? Many thanks

Bort

@LeeMenke 

Yes, you should be able to annotate on anyone's shared content from the Windows desktop client. Just make sure you are using the desktop client, rather than the web client, which runs entirely in a browser. 

Hi - thank you for this response! I tried the workaround you recommended (installing the Android version) and it doesn't seem to be available any longer on the Play Store (I have a Pixelbook Go purchased in 2021 so it should be available). Does Zoom have plans to roll out personal chat and annotation on the Zoom (PWA) for Chrome OS soon? Thank you!

So on Chrome OS we cannot annotate?

I have just bought the paid zoom version and on my new chromebook have run into this issue, I assumed functionality of zoom would be the same as on my old windows laptop.

Is there any workaround for this?  Or plans for it to be added?  I am a teacher, the main thing I do when sharing my screen with a student is annotating exam questions so I really need this functionality.

I use zoom for teaching and use annotation every session. Or at least I was able to annotate until 2 days ago, when I got the latest update. Now I have no annotation, but I have an AI feature that is completely useless to me 😞

I would love to know whom I can blame for this lunacy. Why android Zoom app is not supported and why the annotate is not a feature of the ChomeOS app/extension, should be explained to satisfaction of parents buying Chromebooks & educators forced to scramble with the children who's parents were unfortunate enough to choose those Chromebooks. or . I really need to know which company I should migrate away from as soon as possible. Frustrating for maybe a million or so families and teachers.

i cant use the annotation tool and i am use the androdi app can you helpe me 

mappak
Listener

@Bort This is a major draw back.  Many schools are using Chromebooks and use zoom to present and share classwork.  The new Zoom for Chromebooks lacks annotation options, which are the most commonly used functionality for teachers.  My daughter is using zoom on a chromebook form her math classes and teacher is using the annotation tool to get kids engaged.  Now that Zoom for android is not longer supported on Chromebooks, zoom as a teaching tool has become useless for so many kids that have Chromebooks provided by school.  Such a disappointment.

JamesNathaniel
Listener

i dont have annotate tool in my chrome os asus

Rossini12
Listener

Das ist für mich als Lehrer der im virtuellen Klassenzimmer unterrichtet und auf Chromebook gesetzt hat eine Katastrophe