Ready to set up and use Zoom, but aren't sure where to start? Begin with our onboarding support experience for everything you need to get started.

Get Started
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A black screen is displayed when I activate my camera

Christian1
Observer

I have a particular problem. I used to participate in meetings on Zoom and I could display my video without having a personal zoom account. A few months ago, I opened a zoom account and created a meeting. By mistake, I checked the "Stop my video when joining a meeting" box in the camera settings. After that, when I activated my camera during a meeting, the camera was considered activated but only displayed a black screen. In Windows 10, in the camera privacy settings, my camera (an integrated webcam) was seen as currently being used by the Zoom app.The problem remained after of course unchecking "Stop my video when joining a meeting" in the camera settings, restarting the computer, downloading the latest version of Zoom, stopping my Zoom account. I have left the problem alone by joining Zoom meetings with a black screen as video while the video works using other applications like Teams.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? I would appreciate any help.

Christian

7 REPLIES 7

ManvithVanga
Observer

to make video not look black you have allow access to camera to zoom if not allowed it will look black if not it won't

Hello, sorry for my late reply. In fact, the access to the camera is allowed to Zoom in the privacy settings of the camera. Even, the last access through Zoom is noted. When I attend a Zoom meeting, the camera is turned on as if it were working... but only a black screen is visible in the camera window.

Christian1
Observer

Hello, sorry for my late reply. In fact, the access to the camera is allowed to Zoom in the privacy settings of the camera. Even, the last access through Zoom is noted. When I attend a Zoom meeting, the camera is turned on as if it were working... but only a black screen is visible in the camera window.

I have the same problem, everybody can see me, but I can only see a black screen for myself, and every other participant. The video camera is active. 

WRichter
Observer

Same here iMac2020. Light is green video black. All other apps and browsers work as expected.

Gues we have to move on. I have the impression the native zoom client gets worse with every release. Crashes while screen-sharing are also very common. Not cool if you have 100 physicians only.

Guess we have to move on to something else.

I have the same issue for the last 2 months at least. Used to work fine prior to that and I have not changed settings or added any apps/programs that could have a compatibility problem. My guess is that it's an incompatibility between the latest and even more degraded Zoom client and the the latest/next and more degraded Microsoft system updates that either company doesn't want to address given how few people complain about it. Not a problem with the phone app, which is why I think it is a Zoom/desktop operating system irreconcilable difference. 

HH57
Observer

Help ! My video screen is black, fine yesterday. I have everything ticked. Presentation tomorrow!!