cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phishing ??

jb10
Listener

Received an email that looks like phishing but is cleverly made (header below).

Is there a service at zoom I can forward this to to verify authenticity?

email is from workflow at zuora.com

-------------------------------------

Zoom <***********> Unsubscribe
6:34 PM (1 hour ago)
to me

Zoom Logo
SIGN IN
Your Payment Method on file is expiring soon!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

S_K
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@jb10 @Preserver17 @Indigokat @NoirinC @vhamilton - Hi everyone!

Thanks for reaching out in Zoom Community about this email. I love seeing people being cautious with unexpected emails! Good on you for asking about it!

This is indeed a legitimate notification. It is sent to prevent possible loss of service due to failed payments caused by expired credit cards on file. As with any unexpected emails, it's always a good practice to not click links but rather to log directly into your Zoom account to check on this information. 

Reference: Updating Your Credit Card 

We are working to update our knowledge base to include this information in select articles, including a list of emails and IP addresses you can expect notifications to come from.

Cheers!

~S

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Louise_Mulhearn
Listener

I've had the same email from the same source too. 

I'm assuming that it is a phishing email. 

vhamilton
Listener

I received this too and am wondering as they also referenced my credit card which made me nervous.  I also just paid for a year of service so find it funny they would request this now.

vroyer
Listener

Update in a reply below....

At first this looked to me like phishing.

My monthly account payment was just recently posted by AT&T.

The last 4 of my cc numbers are in the email because I had created the zoom account along with it's payment method, before setting up a discounted AT&T account.

Good job Zoom. You're on it.

I'd say the source of the email definitely put me on guard. <workflow at zuora dot com>

Screenshot_20230128_182710_Gmail.jpg

Update:

Turns out this was not phishing in my case. My cc was indeed expiring. The confusion for me was a result of having a payment method on file with Zoom along with a discounted AT&T account. (The communication between the two is a bit cloudy)

Lionbox
Listener

Did anyone get an answer on whether or not these emails are real? It is very disappointing if it's phishing and they have some private information... I just received the same email and not sure whether it's real or not

Turns out this was not phishing in my case. My cc was indeed expiring. The confusion for me was a result of having a payment method on file with Zoom along with a discounted AT&T account. (The communication between the two is a bit cloudy)

Thanks, @vroyer and @jb10. I have received a response from Zoom confirming this is a real email from them. Hopefully, this will help anyone looking for an official answer 🙂

"We can confirm that this is a legitimate notification and sincerely apologize for any confusion caused due to workflow @ zuora . com  being referenced. Zoom sends this e-mail to ensure that you are aware that your card on file is set to expire at some point within the next 3 months."

(this is extracted from a longer email 👆)

I don't remember exactly how I resolved
I think the inclination is that it is not phishing but it would have been great if someone from zoom had posted to this thread with a conclusive answer.
I believe what I did is go look at my credit card settings in my zoom account. Logging in directly without clicking any links on the suspected email. I may have updated my CC information also but don't remember exactly 

Thank you all. I still am not changing cc info until closer to my year with them. I have paid already so no hurry in my mind. 

NoirinC
Listener

If it is legit , Zoom should not allow Zuora to send it until a month before the card expires,  as most banks only send a new card to the customer about a month ahead to prevent 2 cards being in use.  From a response a customer of Zoom received below, (if legit)  it seems they send it 3 months ahead. So even if we wanted to comply we couldn't.  ZOOM you need to note this is anyone from Zoom is reading the Zoom Community comments.  Is there ?  I clicked it as SPAM so they might learn from that if enough clients do it. I'll just note my dirty to update the new card on everything (including Zoom) 3 months from now.        

Indigokat
Listener

my business has just received the same type of email from workflow@zuora....advising the payment method is expiring... however, the payment method has not and will not expire for another 6 months. I do not believe this is a genuine email and it is most likely a scam. 

Preserver17
Listener

I opened a ticket with Zoom Support and they confirmed it's a legit email.  They didn't explain why it's from a different email from their billing.  My reply to them was not polite, but I thought I should post here so people do know it's legit.

Preserver17_0-1688130715298.png

Sign In
Hi Gavin

Thank you for contacting Zoom. We hope we have answered your question or solved your issue. Your request (#17542829) is now marked as solved.

To reopen, please reply to this email or follow the link above.

Thank you for choosing Zoom!

Preserver17_1-1688130715092.png

John Crisostomo (C) (Zoom)

Jun 29, 2023, 22:33 PDT

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for contacting Zoom Billing!

I understand that you have an inquiry regarding the card expiration email that you received. I’d be delighted to help you with this.

We can confirm that this is a legitimate notification and sincerely apologize for any confusion caused due to “***********” being referenced. Zoom sends this e-mail to ensure that you are aware that your card on file is set to expire at some point within the next 3 months. The expiration will be in September of 2023.

To avoid unwanted service interruptions, kindly ensure that your payment information is updated before the current card expires.

For future reference, here is how you can update a new payment method to your account:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207596143-Updating-your-credit-card

Your satisfaction is our utmost priority and we are happy to have served you well today. In addition, do you mind taking a minute to rate your experience today? You should receive an email with a survey request within the next 24-48 hours.

I hope I was able to address all your concerns and make you a happy customer today! If you need further assistance, you can check our website www.zoom.us, or just let me know and I will be happy to help!

Have an amazing day!

Best regards,
John

Well, I tried to post the email, and the part where you see "*******" is the Zoom support channel removing an "inappropriate" URL.  - The workflow URL we're all asking about.  

S_K

@jb10 @Preserver17 @Indigokat @NoirinC @vhamilton - Hi everyone!

Thanks for reaching out in Zoom Community about this email. I love seeing people being cautious with unexpected emails! Good on you for asking about it!

This is indeed a legitimate notification. It is sent to prevent possible loss of service due to failed payments caused by expired credit cards on file. As with any unexpected emails, it's always a good practice to not click links but rather to log directly into your Zoom account to check on this information. 

Reference: Updating Your Credit Card 

We are working to update our knowledge base to include this information in select articles, including a list of emails and IP addresses you can expect notifications to come from.

Cheers!

~S

Sorry, I don't trust any communication from a *********** exploring my credit card details, it's not from Zoom account. as it should be. I'm not replying, not paying. In any case Zoom customers' support is the worst ever, a nightmare of articles to study and a lousy AI chat that always take you nowhere. 

S_K

Hi  @barnard 

I understand your concern. I'm on the Zoom Billing team. I also have experience in Trust and Safety, which is why I was thrilled that you exercised caution with an email you were not expecting.

The email is a only courtesy reminder and is not asking for payment. Zuora is the company through which our billing system is run. It is where all transactions are processed. Zoom provides your service.

This is why I recommended signing into your Zoom account directly and checking the card you have entered. When you receive your new card with a new expiration date, you can update it then to avoid payment errors and possible shutdown.

Here are some articles that may interest you or anyone here who wants to learn more about internet safety:

How To Recognize and Avoid Phishing Scams

How To Recognize and Report Spam Text Messages

How To Get Less Spam in Your Email

Protect Your Personal Data and Information

Cheers!
~S

lipp
Listener

Hello,

Sending account related messages from workflow@zuora is not only unprofessional as it is hidden behind the alias "***********", it also is automatically marked as spam by my inbox - probably by many others, too.

I also do not appreciate that my personal info is shared with yet another third party that then also sends out emails.

I understand that using software from third parties is often needed to run a business, but then this should be very openly communicated during sign-up or when that service is implemented. That would also allow to know where to expect messages from and adding them to a safe-list and hence not potentially miss reading them.

Thanks. In fact it's quite unfathomable why a big outfit like Zoom employs aliases like that. My understanding is that they've been swamped by complaints in this regard.

S_K

This is acknowledged and has been raised to Zoom developers.