cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to register phone your number. Please check your network connection and try again.

Sharmer
Listener

Got stuck in a loop trying to connect my phone contacts. Got my phone number wrong and the captcha checks also. Probably attempted too many times. Now when I try and get an SMS sent to me to register my phone. I get the following message and can go no further. 

"Failed to register phone your number. Please check your network connection and try again."

Tried rebooting etc etc. No joy. Any help appreciated...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hello_world
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

I was recently notified of this thread and the ongoing issue as a result of registration failure. In order for the Zoom engineering team to identify the issue and provide a resolution, a Zoom Problem report submission is needed. I have tested this on an Apple device with all requested permissions during installation enabled except for Face ID. Visual and Audio captchas are not matching as already mentioned by other users. When you enter the incorrect captcha or phone number, therein the problem occurs. Any attempt to register will fail even if you sign out of the app or when you uninstall it completely. There is no workaround and replication is easy but it will cause your device to fail registration EVEN if you were successful before. In my case, it worked the first time and after following the steps done by other users (wrong phone number, incorrect captcha response) - even doing the correct method fails to register my number. 

I will be adding the replication confirmation steps to our engineering team with my submitted report. If you have a Zoom account, I encourage you to open a Support ticket  and submit a Zoom Problem report from your App.

I will be working on this internally to ensure a solution is found, your assistance in submitting tickets and reports will help us in identifying the issue faster with a bigger data sample to analyze.

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

Joneswalton
Listener

I have the same issue!

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

I would like to help, but I am not completely understanding the issue. Is the issue when you add a contact to your personal contacts on your profile or something to do with adding a phone number (mobile phone) to your user profile. I realize that Zoom's internal IT teams provisions us (Zoom employees) through an IDP, so most of this information is automatically in our profile when we log on. I can try to help and even request the Zoom Phone team to assist me, but I do need more context. 

Thanks, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I can further elaborate, when in the zoom app and you go to “Phone Contacts Matching” and it says “Add Your Number” it allows you to add your number in the space provided but when the security check pops up it says “Failed to register number try again” and no matter how many times you try it just doesn’t work. 

YaBoiB

Hello @malby101

On the desktop application are you on the phone tab button or the contacts button? I do not have this on my desktop client. I am on a mac and I am on an Enterprise account, so not sure if that has anything to do with this. Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation last week. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

I am sorry, your response was not helpful. It doesn't solve our problem.
We need to know if Zoom is going to solve this bug or not!. Should we wait for a solution ? or just delete the app?
I can't believe it! being in a vacation is not an excuse. There should be other employee supporting Zoom's customers.

Please see my reply on this thread below @amirbabikir 🙂 

Excellent news! This issue has been escalated to our engineering team for further investigation; please stay tuned for an update and our findings as soon as I have more information.

Thanks! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Update pushed, still no fix to "Failed to register your phone number. Please check your network connection and try again." On Samsung 22 ultra running One UI 5.1. 

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, resetting network, using mobile network, restarting phone, using desktop to add phone number, etc. No use. Recaptcha fails on my OS and won't allow phone to be registered. I'm trying to start a family update chat for my mother who has terminal cancer. This is her preferred platform despite all the issues. Please help. 

This problem was when I downloaded the app and registered for the first time. 

OMG.

The issue is simple: entering phone number to sync phone contacts is BROKEN! What don’t you understand?!

KnightWhoSaysNi
Listener

Same issue here. I have different mobile numbers and get the same error message but now I can see how brilliant Zoom support is. They don't give a d@mn about the problem for a month now. Dont even bother replying this thread. I guess Ill just stick to Skype. Another untested joke app,

MrChase
Listener

Same issue, Failure to register phone. The interesting part is that the security check is a mismatch, meaning the 5 character captcha is not the same as the audio clue, which is distressing and contradictory. 

Also, I share the frustration of apparently zero support response, or a deliberately obtuse one. 

vmihai
Listener

Exactly the same issue - once you enter the captcha code, you immediately get the "Failed to register your phone number". It doesn't even matter if you enter the wrong captcha. What I tried:

- 2x different phone numbers, doesn't matter

- deleted my account (Google)

This is driving me nuts - it's completely unusable like this. Please fix!

MLU103169
Listener

I agree. I needed to to be part of a medical study. I'm just going to delete Zoom and remove myself from the study. Zoom doesn't seem to care. 

Don’t do that. I could still access my zoom meeting. It’s just the syncing contacts part. 
Hope you did get to your meeting. 

HungaDunga3
Listener

Failed to register your phone number. Please retry.  -- this after giving correct entry to either the alphanumeric or to the audio numeric only.  new user to mobile been using on laptop.  tried to enter contacts cannot. 

vmih
Listener

@YaBoiB @CarlaA this is clearly still an issue for a lot of people - this can't be user error at this point. How is Zoom currently handling this?

Daxter
Listener

I am having the same issue with the app. Clearly it's a bug with the APP, at least on Google play store. I have no issue registering my number on the website, but I cannot register on the app and get my contacts because of this error message.

TwistedTrekkie6
Listener

I'm just curious has this been fixed yet? I am having the same problem

No one has yet fixed it for me. 
I was still able to go to my meeting though. 

Okay thanks, I have been trying for like an hour I thought it was me ha

amirbabikir
Listener

Hi, I have the same issue. I downloaded zoom app into my iPhone.
Opened the app and selected Contacts then selected "Connect Phone Contacts"
It displayed my country "Canada" and I entered my phone number (chatr company) and pressed Continue.
it asked for the captcha. which I typed exactly as displayed, it gave me an error "Failed to register phone number, please retry"
Still not able to connect my contacts after many tries using the displayed captcha or entering the number from the audio.
Looks like a bug, simply. 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hello @amirbabikir @Sharmer @TwistedTrekkie6 @Lightyears61 @Daxter and everyone else in this thread!

Excellent news! This issue has been escalated to our engineering team for further investigation; please stay tuned for an update and our findings as soon as I have more information.

Thanks! 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Lk12345
Listener

Having the exact same issue on two different iPhones. Can’t even schedule one meeting. This whole thread and how long it took for someone to understand the issue is disturbing. 

Crlvr
Listener

I am having the same problem and have tried to get it to work for two days. 

Kai1992
Listener

Am having the same problem first time on zoom and problems all  will delete if i cant add number whats the point i have a meeting today and they cant get hold of me ... very frustrating . id rather use good old skype Or even Discord is more reliable .

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @Sharmer @amirbabikir @Cjenk114 @Kai1992 @Crlvr and everyone else on this thread. Following some troubleshooting finds, we wondered upon checking any Full device management on the device also known as MDM.

Before checking; please note you maybe either have a designated IT team or YOU are the one that manages the device, profiles, restrictions, etc; therefore, please double-check before going forward.

Please note, this is a user by user basis, therefore; one user on this thread may have their device enrolled in a company-owned devices policy or device management on personal-owned devices enrolled for specific apps (in this case Zoom application). 

NON-IT users

With that being said, on this thread it looks like this is happening on both Android and iPhone (both having cellular capabilities). TO CHECK if you have Full Device management (MDM) installed on the device and to remove these restrictions you can do the following for Android and iPhone:

Android - advise to look into Full device management and before configuring your settings

• Select "Security" from the Settings menu.
  • Scroll down and tap "Device administrators".
  • Ensure that "Android Device Manager" is unchecked

iPhone - please look into Device management profiles before configuring your settings 

• Go to iPhone/iPad settings > General and scroll down to find VPN & Device Management.
  • Tap on VPN & Device Management > MDM Profile > Remove Management.
  • You will be prompted to enter your login information or passcode to remove MDM.
  • Enter your credentials and remove the MDM profile from your iPad/iPhone.

Finally, please re-test to see if you're able to verify your number in phone contacts matching after removing MDM if enrolled?

IT Users

iOS

Remove the following "Use Managed Open In restrictions (iOS and iPadOS):" restrictions as the managed app cannot read the local contact app due to MDM policy. 

c51d386d-bd4f-4cc4-808c-173e2378e6b6.png

Android

For Android App configuration policies for Microsoft Intune

Finally, please re-test with your IT team to see if you're able to verify your number in phone contacts matching after removing MDM. 

I hope this information is useful, and please let me know what you discover after troubleshooting! Please also let me know if your device is not managed by you or your company so that I can look into additional troubleshooting steps. Thanks! 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

This unfortunately does not fix the issue. The Only Device administrator that I had on my Pixel 7 was Find My Device. Tried disabling it, it did not fix the issue.

IhateZoomalot
Listener

Wow! All these users have perfectly described the problem, but no one at Zoom seems to be able to comprehend the issue! I have tried to register my phone number on the Apple Zoom app and my husband has tried on the Android app. Both of us get "Failed to register your phone number. Please check your network connection and try again". The network connection is, of course, just fine. Pathetic.

hello_world

I was recently notified of this thread and the ongoing issue as a result of registration failure. In order for the Zoom engineering team to identify the issue and provide a resolution, a Zoom Problem report submission is needed. I have tested this on an Apple device with all requested permissions during installation enabled except for Face ID. Visual and Audio captchas are not matching as already mentioned by other users. When you enter the incorrect captcha or phone number, therein the problem occurs. Any attempt to register will fail even if you sign out of the app or when you uninstall it completely. There is no workaround and replication is easy but it will cause your device to fail registration EVEN if you were successful before. In my case, it worked the first time and after following the steps done by other users (wrong phone number, incorrect captcha response) - even doing the correct method fails to register my number. 

I will be adding the replication confirmation steps to our engineering team with my submitted report. If you have a Zoom account, I encourage you to open a Support ticket  and submit a Zoom Problem report from your App.

I will be working on this internally to ensure a solution is found, your assistance in submitting tickets and reports will help us in identifying the issue faster with a bigger data sample to analyze.

Are there any updates on this issue? I have the same problem and this is not a solution.

It’s not a solution. The problem still exists. When this bug will be fixed? Or at least instructions how to bypass it are given. 
what a joke this support 

Same issue, awaiting an actual solution from Zoom. Until then might aswell uninstall. 

notumbo
Listener

Same problem, read all the "responses", none of which have solved anything for anyone. The facts:

Android on Pixel 7a. Brand new download of Zoom app. When trying to sync with my contacts, I get stuck on the security check. I put in the captcha or numeric code from the audio, it comes back with "Failed to register your phone number. Please check your network connection and try again." Without this function, I cannot schedule a meeting, as I have no contacts. This is clearly a bug in your app,This is a sad commentary for Zoom. Maybe the Captcha field is wonky, maybe the approach is riddled with wrong thinking, who knows? What we all now know is that WE are stoopid, Zoom knows all. Jesus H, this is a lousy advertizement for your product. I have input the correct number/characters numerous times - same fail every time. I have logged out, logged in repeatedly. This is just stupid. Time to look elsewhere.

hello_world

I'm sorry that you are also experiencing this inconvenience. The inability to sync using the phone contacts once an incorrect captcha is entered appears to be account related since the behavior follows even when you use a different device. As I have mentioned in my previous response, I am working internally on this to confirm the cause of the issue.

I agree that not having contacts available is indeed an issue, and we offer contact syncing outside of the mobile device,   Using calendar and contacts integration  is our Help Center article that has other options that for importing contacts if you'd like to give that a try.

When is this getting fixed? Seems like it has been an issue for weeks now.... Who do we need to contact to fix the CAPTCHA issue???

I am having this issue as of today.  It has not been fixed on android. 

This fix is cumbersome and not an answer to the problem.  I’m moving to WebEx as Zoom isn’t as easy and user friendly as it used to be. 

Hello. It’s been about 6 weeks since your message. Any update?

Hoku1
Listener

Attn Brandon or anyone at Zoom.  I am receiving the same message as many others here -unable to register my cell phone# in order to access contacts to invite to meeting.  The written and audio captcha do not work,   Have iPhone, latest iOS software, turned on privacy security to allow zoom to access my iPhone contact list.  I created a second account but have same issue.  Very frustrating….please help me.   

I am frustrated that Zoom feels this error message is due to the users- either putting in wrong phone number, wrong captchas, bad internet connection, not updating operating system etc.  I am changing to WebEx