cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accidentally disabled setting that automatically displays window when someone screen shares

chaverly
Newcomer
Newcomer

In a Zoom meeting recently, I minimized the window that was displaying someone's shared screen, and Zoom prompted me to ask whether I wanted to disable the setting that automatically displays the shared screen window. For that meeting, I decided that would be really helpful, but as soon as I clicked yes, I realized that I was changing that setting permanently, not just for the meeting. Sure enough, now when someone shares their screen, I have to select the window from the ribbon at the top manually, and I'm missing the automatic display. I've gone through my settings in my online Zoom account, and I didn't see an option to reset this setting. When I search through the FAQs, all I see are ones troubleshooting sharing a screen, not viewing a shared screen. I've looked through all the settings I can find on the desktop app too, and I haven't seen anything that appears like it would reset this setting for me. Please help!

3 REPLIES 3

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Interesting issue. However, a lot of information is missing, So to start with we need to know which OS is being used and what device is being used. Which version of Zoom is being used. Is dual monitor being used? Please share some screenshots showing how you are seeing a shared screen, show what you have to select to "select the window from the ribbon at the top manually". Also, show any drop down menus you have to select from or indicate where you are clicking.

chaverly
Newcomer
Newcomer

I use MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1 on a MacBook Air laptop. I have Zoom 5.17.11. I typically use a dual monitor, though I was using just my laptop screen when Zoom prompted me to change my settings as described in my first post.

I don't see how to add screenshots to this message, so I'll try to describe in more detail what I have to do to pull up the shared screen. Typically what happens in Zoom is whatever monitor I'm using for the meeting window stays on the meeting (with all the Brady Bunch squares of people's heads), and the shared screen automatically occupies my second monitor when it's shared, sweeping to the side what had previously been on that monitor. I can usually go to that monitor and swipe right or left with three fingers on the touchpad to toggle between my original screen (my desktop) and the shared screen. Now when someone shares a screen, I have no idea they are unless they say so. Swiping right or left on the touchpad no longer toggles between screens on my second monitor. Instead, I have to go up to the menu ribbon at the top of the screen where the options are: zoom.us, Meeting, View, Edit, Window, and Help. I click on Window and the bottom three options are Zoom, Zoom, and Zoom Meeting. The Zoom Meeting is my Brady Bunch meeting. One of the two Zoom options will be the shared screen, and I have to experiment to figure out which one it is. When I find it, the shared screen window opens on my second monitor (though, it doesn't swipe my desktop screen to the side). I can then maximize the shared screen or make it fullscreen. I hope that helps paint a more clear picture!

Wanted to follow-up with a bit more information. I've realized that I habitually minimize the Zoom window where the shared screen displays at the start of every meeting. What used to happen is that that window would reopen automatically and move to full screen mode whenever someone shared their screen. Now, it does not, which is why I have to manually go to the ribbon menu at the top to navigate to the minimized Zoom window.