Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transcription Highly Inaccurate

EmilieK
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

I upgraded to the Pro account for transcription. I have issues with editing the transcribed audio within Zoom. It doesn't always save. I've remedied this by just copying to a Word doc and editing there. Please let me know if there is a better fix.

Another issue is that the transcription is highly inaccurate. 1. It will say it's me talking (the only female on some calls) when clearly a male is talking. 2. I expected to edit medical jargon, but many common words also need editing, even when the speech is clear. 3. I am frequently having to edit out periods in the middle of sentences. 4. It jumps to another time stamp in the middle of a speaker, even if the speaker doesn't pause. 5. Sentences often begin with lowercase letters. 

It's frustrating to pay/upgrade to a higher plan when I'm having to spend several hours editing every 45-60 minute call. The calls need to be precise because this is for research. What is Zoom doing to remedy these problems, and is there anything I can do on my end?

Thank you,

Emilie

2 REPLIES 2

kschoeb1
Explorer
Explorer

It seems like the accuracy of live captions has also dropped dramatically in the past few months.  Recorded captions seem to be experiencing a similar drop in accuracy. I'm getting more and more complaints about it and have watched the AI make some very embarrassing errors in word choices during a live event.  

This was not always the case e.g. was pretty impressed with the accuracy when we first started using the tool heavily when COVID hit.  Then seemed like the accuracy was close to 90-95%.  Now it seems to have dropped closer to 75-80%

telkington
Newcomer
Newcomer

I am a live captioner and during covid, many times live captioners were doing the captioning. We are trained captioners who do captioning professionally after years of training and experience to get that accurate. Zoom started using our captions to train their Otter AI software without offering to compensate us. They also changed their terms of use to make it legal for them to use ANYTHING that happens n meetings, including confidential meetings. As a result our industry collectively quit captioning directly into Zoom. So now you've seen a correlated drop in accuracy. I'm betting all of the captioning you're seeing on Zoom is all artificial intelligence now.

Professional captioners are going to give you 98 percent and above accuracy.

Artificial intelligence is going to give you pretty random accuracy and certainly isn't going to put the punctuation in the correct spots.