cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No microphone audio

kbgressitt
Newcomer
Newcomer

Zoom is fully functional on my 2021 Macbook Air, but, when I connect to the Dell S2419H monitor, I have no microphone audio: class participants cannot hear me. I've reloaded Zoom, plugged and unplugged, rebooted, retested, and howled at the moon. Apple tech support couldn't resolve it, and my account doesn't qualify for Zoom tech support. Any suggestions anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kbgressitt I think you may upgrade your macOS version, Sonoma 14.5 is the latest, macOS will mute builtin microphone's sound to keep privacy when lid is closed since MacOS version 14.0[not very sure which version], so I suggest you using another microphone if you want to keep lid closed

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MGSR

Hello @kbgressitt 

Welcome to the Zoom Community! We're glad to see you here.

A possible reason is that when you are plugged in to the monitor, it uses a different microphone.
Check your audio once connected and change it to the preferred microphone. 
You may also check out this article for further troubleshooting.

Hi, Mark, and thanks for the swift reply!

I've done everything suggested in the troubleshooting article—and more. My university IT folks couldn't figure it out and referred me to Apple folks, who couldn't figure it out and referred me to Zoom. I should have added that it was all working—the laptop with the monitor—until a couple weeks ago. No new hardware or software; the mic just went silent. . . . Any other suggestions?

KB

hi kbgressitt, sorry to hear that, but I'd like to verify something

1. which microphone are you using in zoom?

2. does the microphone work with other apps?  you can test with voiceMemos.app which is a builtin app

3. does it work when you disconnect the Dell S2419H monitor?

4. could you choose another microphone in zoom and test it?

5. what's your macOS version?  Make sure DO NOT use builtin microphone when you close your MacBook Air lid, macOS will mute the sound .

Thanks, Sean. Please see my responses inserted in your message:

1. which microphone are you using in zoom? >>> MacBook Air microphone
  2. does the microphone work with other apps?  you can test with voiceMemos.app which is a builtin app  >>> YES, it works with multiple apps
  3. does it work when you disconnect the Dell S2419H monitor? >>> YES
  1. could you choose another microphone in zoom and test it? >>> YES, it worked with an iphone.
  2. what's your macOS version?  >>> Sonoma 14.5
    Make sure DO NOT use builtin microphone when you close your MacBook Air lid, macOS will mute the sound. >>> I guess this is the issue then. However, since I first starting using Zoom with the laptop and the Dell monitor—in 2021—I’ve always closed the laptop lid and had no problem with the laptop microphone: Until recently, the microphone has always worked with the lid closed when I'm using Zoom and the monitor. I’m particularly curious about this sudden change, given that the laptop speaker continues to work with the lid closed. . . . Am I now just out of luck?

Hi @kbgressitt I think you may upgrade your macOS version, Sonoma 14.5 is the latest, macOS will mute builtin microphone's sound to keep privacy when lid is closed since MacOS version 14.0[not very sure which version], so I suggest you using another microphone if you want to keep lid closed

Thanks for the help, Sean.

K-B