cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Background Update with MSI Installer without Launching Zoom App on Windows

nullpointer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Hello!

I work in IT, and we're a Microsoft shop. Many users rarely open Zoom, so Zoom doesn’t update unless users launch it for external Zoom meetings or training once in awhile and are stuck in an older version with vulnerabilities.

Currently, we don’t manage Zoom installations; users have installed it themselves. I just saw that Zoom 6.1.0's changelog says it can now update even when the app isn’t running -- for the .exe package.

If we deploy Zoom 6.1.0 and above using the MSI package, will it still handle auto-updates even when the app isn’t open? Also, if we set up the ADMX policies for auto-updates, do we still need to add the "ZoomAutoUpdate=1" flag during the MSI install?

I’ve seen task scheduler entries Zoom Update for manual installs with versions above 6.1.0, but I can't confirm if the same applies to MSI installs. Also, would the app need to be launched at least once for the task schedule to be created? If anyone has experience with this or can point me to relevant Zoom documentation about background automatic updates, I’d be very grateful!

If updates work on MSI, we plan to deploy it via Intune to all machines, as Zoom doesn’t auto-start by default and we don't mind having the app installed on all machines. But, we want to avoid manually managing minor versioning for MSI installers and stale unused apps as much as possible.

June 17, 2024 version 6.1.0 (41135)

Zoom app ability to update while application is not running
To provide a more seamless meeting experience, reducing disruptions and missed call minutes caused by forced updates before joining a meeting, the Zoom desktop app for Windows (.exe package) can push version upgrades while the app is not running for users with auto updates enabled.

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0068823

1 REPLY 1

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Current version is 6.1.11 The MSI version is intended for IT management and the EXE version is intended for individual management

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0058493