cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using zoom with dell monitor and Mac mini

montereyrick
Listener

I'm trying to use a dell teleconferencing monitor with a Mac mini and having much difficulty. 

Dell is telling me that for the camera and mic in the monitor to work, I must connect the monitor to the Mac in two ways -- HDMI is for the monitor to work, and USB-C is for the camera/mic to send signal back to the Mac. However, it seems that when I do that, the Mac sees two monitors and there is a conflict.

The monitor wants to select the USB-C connection as the default. But the Mac sees that at the secondary connection. So I am forced to change the video input on the monitor every time the computer comes on, or wakes up. 

A call to Apple resulted in telling the Mac to "mirror" the two monitors, but that turned off the camera/mic inputs to the Mac, and thus Zoom cannot work/.

Is this making sense to anyone? Is there any workaround? 

1 REPLY 1

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @montereyrick 

Can you connect the monitor with just the USB-C connection and it work fine, for both monitor and camera? Could this simply operate without the HDMI.  

Otherwise maybe looking for an option in the monitor to disable monitor by USB-C could help. Rather than looking just to change inputs, look to disable the monitor by USB-C functions.

Interesting though. I'd be interested to see how it goes with the Dell teleconferencing monitor!