cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using USB cam for Android Zoom meeting

KeeHC
Listener

Can I use an external web cam instead of my phone cam for zoom meeting?

6 REPLIES 6

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @KeeHC, unfortunately, I'm going to assume there's no easy way around it or possible.  It looks like by default (iOS) that I have no option to select a camera, just defaults to my integrated camera. The only way I'm assuming this would work is if you can override your default camera with the external webcam via USB-C or the device connected through your charging port. Also, I'm unaware of best practices for that. 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Rupert
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Hi,

I have seen various attempts to connect USB cameras to Android devices, including with USB-C, but with no luck.

Rupert

henryec3
Listener

Google Play has many apps for this.  I use "usb Camera apop for Huawei Samsung"   Fine app, many tech options eg adding Bluetooth mic, zoom image.

could you please explain how you did it? there is no option to switch your camera. thanks

CHRISGAPSKE
Listener

This used to be possible.  When the pandemic started I had to a project that was using android STB for video and had to  move to google meet to continue it was a huge mess and They have no good reason to do it. 

Loragen
Listener

How to share video and audio from an external USB web camera connected to an Android phone in a Zoom meeting.

22 November 2023,  USA.

Neither Zoom or Skype supports external web cams on Android devices.  Here is a workaround I use as an alternative to using a separate live-streaming service.  It’s just running any Android USB webcam app and Zoom concurrently, then sharing the screen to show the webcam video instead of the phone camera video.  It does require a few phone settings changed that are unfortunately well-hidden.  I use this method on my Pixel 6a Android 14 phone for hands-on remote teaching away from a PC or laptop.  Or live sharing from a webcam used as a bodycam from a cell phone.    

1. Other than a phone, you will need:
  • Any PC web cam, including inspection cameras. 
  • PC webcams use USB-A connectors, but phones use Micro-USB (older) or USB-C (since 2019) adaptor that is OTG-compatible.  Unless the camera already has a USB-C connector.
  • Choose a USB webcam app from the Google Play Store.  There are many.  I will use ‘USB Camera Standard’ here.
  1. Check that the phone supports USB ‘OTG’ (On The Go).  To the best of my knowledge, all recent Android phones do, but there are surely exceptions.  The Google Play store has several apps just to check if your phone uses USB OTG.
  2. Change a few settings on your Android phone.  The instructions below are exact for Android 14 on the Pixel 6a, but there should be equivalents on any OTG-compatible Android phone:
    1. Click ‘Settings’.
    2. If you haven’t already done so, enable ‘Developer Options’: Settings > System > Developer options > switch ‘Use developer options’ on. 
    3. In about the middle of the long list of option, click ‘Default USB configuration’.  It has no switch.  This will bring up the ‘USB’ menu with the ability to change the settings.
    4. Fifth item down, click button ‘Webcam’.
    5. Close Settings as usual by clicking the center button at bottom of screen.  
  3. Connect the USB webcam to the phone.  This is where you will need the USB-A to USB-C adaptor if your webcam does not have a USB C connector (no PC webcams do).
  4. Launch your USB camera app.  Verify that you see the camera video on the screen.
  5. The USB camera app may or may not have a setting to use the webcam’s microphone, if it has one.  If you use it and the webcam is close to the phone with the speaker on, you will get an echo effect.  Turn down or mute the phone speaker to avoid this, or use Bluetooth earphones.
  6. Minimize the web cam app and launch Zoom (same for Skype).  Start or join a meeting.  What you’ll see first is the view from the phone’s camera.
  7. At the bottom of the Zoom app screen, click ‘Share’ and then ‘Screen’.  Zoom will display a message “Start recording or casting with Zoom?”.  Click ‘Start now’.  You’ll see the regular phone desktop screen.  Click the right bottom button and reopen the webcam app.  The external USB camera video will now be displayed and shared with all meeting participants. 
  8. When sharing the screen, you will still have full control of the USB Camera app.  Switch it to full screen mode so the webcam image fills the phone screen and the Zoom windows of the participants. 
  9. When you end the Zoom meeting (from your Android phone), be sure to also end the webcam app or it will continue running in the background.
  10. For meeting participants on any platform:
    1. There is no difference from the normal Zoom experience.  As usual, there’s the corner cases for Zoom meetings.  E.g., it may ask a host or participant if they want to ‘Reclaim Host’ or ‘Stay co-host’.  If so, it’s best to click ‘Stay co-host’ so that the zoom meeting can be ended by the original host, i.e., the Android phone.    
    2. As usual with Zoom, any participant can also share their screen if the host allows it, so they can use  the same procedure to share external web cam video from a phone.