cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with accurately recording PowerPoint in zoom

Kodakjoe
Listener

When sharing screen during meeting, powerpoint slide presentation works fine; however, the recording of the session does not show certain slide transitions; many transitions come out choppy or none at all - the next slide just appears.  

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Hey, @Kodakjoe –

When sharing PowerPoint slides with transitions or embedded videos, be sure to check Optimize for video on the Share Screen window. Without this, your video and transition movement will be transmitted at a lower frame rate, resulting in the choppiness you experienced.

See this Zoom Support article for helpful info on screen sharing, but I’m not sure the second sentence of the Optimize for video section tracks with my experience. I think anything with full motion activity – even just bursts of it like in transitions – should be done with this option checked. Note also the Share Sound checkbox information, if your slides have any audio component.

I generally ask my presenters to not use transitions, since the Optimize for video option generally increases the frame rate from 5-10 frames per second to 25-30 frames per second, a huge increase in bandwidth usage for all your viewers, and this could cause poor video and audio downstream for those with slow internet connections or high network congestion. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Tks much for your input Ray.  I appreciate your recommendations; however, I don't think that I have explained my issue completely.   My problem is not with playing the powerpoint during the meeting, it's with the video of that meeting.   When I record a meeting and show a powerpoint presentation during the meeting, the slides transition work fine.  However, when I play back the video of the meeting on the very same computer, the recorded version has the choppy transitions. I'm assuming that the recording issue is somewhere within the zoom settings or with the zoom software itself, since I'm using the same computer to view the video of the meeting in which the transitions had worked well.  However, I just can't find a resolution.   

Ray_Harwood

Are you the person showing the PowerPoint presentation?  If so, yes, your PowerPoint transitions will look fine on your computer... but the recorded presentation is based on the transmitted presentation, and the frame rate of transmission will cause your beautiful transitions to look choppy everywhere else except on your screen.  Most likely your attendees are also seeing choppy transitions... and in most cases they won't notice, because they don't know what your presentation is supposed to look like, and they assume you intended them to look that way.

Or if they're very experienced Zoom presenters, they might be thinking to themselves, "If you're going to have transitions in your PowerPoint, you need to turn on Optimize for video before sharing."

So your comment is correct...  "the recording issue is somewhere within the zoom settings"... it's in not checking the Optimize for video when you start the screen sharing.  Check that box, and the recording should be good!

Tks again, Ray.  The 'Optimize for Video' feature really helped. I needed also to increase the transition time of the slide in powerpoint to 2 seconds; still a little choppy but much better.  Maybe a slightly longer transition time would do the trick.   You put me on the right path. Tks.

Ray_Harwood

Excellent!  Also try using other transitions which might look better at a slower frame rate.