cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

latest zoom update instability

dan-turner
Listener

Never had a problem with zoom program (installed about 3 years ago) until this week. Instability of the frame showing me started right after the recent update automatically installed itself. The problem manifests in at least 2 different ways: 1. frame with me in it starts flickering, usually with a couple of parallel streaks across the top; 2. another person on the zoom call also appears in my frame. I can arrest the problem by disabling live video, and reverting to the photo of myself that zoom keeps on my computer. Then, I can switch back to live video, and it may remain stable for a minute or two and then revert to flickering; or it may remain stable much longer (most recently at least half an hour  when that particular zoom call ended). Any suggestions? Can I fall back to a previous version, and if so how do I do that?

15 REPLIES 15

BobYoung
Listener

I am experiencing the same situation. I am not having it occurring continually, mainly during a meeting or when guests are entering the meeting. This is occurring on two separate computers so it would seem to be a Zoom issue.

Laura333
Listener

I have exactly the same problem.  

Susie61
Listener

have the same problem since last week, I have windows 10, never any problems before. installing updates didn't help either

Marylil52
Listener

I have exactly the same problem, which began immediately after an update on Friday 13th January.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zoom, to no avail.  What is to be done?

MMT222
Listener

I have the same issue.  Zoom updated automatically and now I can't use my video at all.  It's laggy or gets a glitch whenever I try to use it.

Hard to do work when you can't use video!  I hope zoom creates a fix for this soon! Hopefully they did some UAT on this update, because it's is not a great look for the company or me being able to do my work with this issue.  Zoom is unusable for me and my business at the moment.

BobYoung
Listener

I contacted the support group and they said there is a fix scheduled for tomorrow. Hope this solves the problem.

My Zoom updated again yesterday,  Monday 17th January, after the Friday 13th update which I think screwed up my image (as in my message above). No change, so either no fix or it didn't work. 

marikotagawa
Listener

i have the same issue

SWaters
Listener

Same issue.  I tried to adjust several VIdeo settings such as HD, Adjust to low light, Adjust my appearance.  None of this worked.  I also adjusted Video Rendering Method to Direct3D9 (this is under Advanced settings) and this improved the issue SLIGHTLY, but definitely did not fix it.  Any news on Zoom and what they are doing to correct the issue?  VERY irritating when updates create more problems!

BobYoung
Listener

Here are the instructions I got from support and I had no problems in the meetings after doing this.

Our engineers have advised that we’ll fix the issue on the 5.13.5 version which will be released on Monday. In the meantime, can you try the workaround below:

1. Launch the Zoom desktop client.
  2. Click your profile picture and select Settings from the menu.
  3. Navigate to the Video tab.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and click Advanced.
  5. Untick Optimize quality of the video | send with de-noise

cmchapa
Listener

I can get into 'Settings" but don't see a Video tab

I struggled with this. Where it says "Type here to search" on your tool bar type "Zoom" and select the Zoom app and login there. Then look for the video tab. Hope this helps.

Hi @cmchapa , as @BobYoung mentioned, you can find the settings cogwheel in your Home page of the Zoom App. From there, select the Video option, scroll to the bottom and select "Advanced", then Untick Optimize quality of the video | send with de-noise.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.25.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 12.01.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 12.01.47 PM.png

Hope this helps! 

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Thanks so much, BobYoung.  I believe I finally managed to follow your kind instructions.

sarahsmith
Listener

I faced the same issue and here's what I did: I updated my graphics drivers, adjusted Zoom settings, and closed conflicting apps. If the problem persisted, I uninstalled Zoom, tried an older version, and contacted Zoom support. Don't forget to check your hardware too.