cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom video freezes when connecting 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro CPU) to a TV with HDMI

Sunrise1972
Listener

I am the host of the Zoom meetings I am having trouble with.
I have brand new a 14" 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro CPU. This computer works OK with Zoom using its own screen, but the Zoom video freezes when I connect it to a TV monitor using HDMI. The other Zoom participants have no difficulty with sound or vision. Audio works both ways for me.

Before purchasing this new computer, I have been successfully hosting Zoom meetings using a 13" M1 MacBook Air connected to the TV by HDMI.

Can you please help me with this problem.

9 REPLIES 9

opbluelegend
Attendee
How do I get my Zoom to work on my Mac?

Installing the Zoom application
  1. Visit our Download Center.
  2. Under Zoom Client for Meetings, click Download.
  3. Double click the downloaded file. ...
  4. Once the installer opens, click Continue.
  5. Choose the destination for installation: ...
  6. Click Continue.

jcrowley44
Listener

Have exactly the same problem. Brand new MacBook Pro 16" with M1 processor. 2 external monitors connected through a Belkin docking station.

Zoom works OK if external monitors are detached so only the MacBook Pro screen exists. But if the monitors are attached, then starting a Zoom meeting freezes completely - have to use Force Quit or a Restart to get control back. Also tried Preferences -> Mission Control -> Displays have separate spaces setting both on and off - same result.

Have not had a problem with any other application using the external monitors.

Critical additional information:

• If you try to start Zoom directly to start your own meeting, it freezes (shows Not Responding in the Force Quit screen).
  • If you click the link in an e-mail invite,
    • If your default browser is Safari, then it will freeze,
    • If your default browser is Chrome, then it works.
  • If you copy/paste the link in the e-mail invite, it works if pasted into Chrome, does not work in Safari.

Have to retract the above -- using Chrome failed once today and worked once. No idea what differences are involved.

kaybono
Listener

I am having this same problem. It works by itself, but not when an external monitor is connected. I have no such trouble with my i7 intel Mac, so I think it's a compatibility issue with the M1 processor.

Hi Kaybono, after a macOS update some time ago my problem was completely solved. My previous M1 MacBook Air never had problems with external monitors. 

Interesting. This is my second M1 MacBook Pro, and both had issues with external monitors on Zoom, using two different USB hubs

shivlal
Listener

IS there any fix for this problem?

I am having the same issues with my Macbook Pro M1 14 2021. 

Sunrise1972
Listener

my problems went away after a macOS update and haven't returned