cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Meeting Camera rotation issue on iPad with external monitor

epiano
Listener

Hi! I have an iPad Pro M1 chip with iPadOs 16.2. When I connect an external monitor, the camera does NOT rotate in landscape mode (in the external monitor). I've tried all the possible settings in the iPad and the Zoom meeting app, without success. 

I saw this guy's video ( https://youtu.be/dWMjpN4YILw ) where apparently the camera rotation works for him with google meet, but I've tried and also, Skype, Teams, Zoom, among other video meeting apps with the same camera rotation issue across all of them!!! 

Also it would be awesome that when you share the iPad screen during a Zoom meeting, you could see in the external monitor the other person in full size video, not small square in the bottom right corner! Please Zoom developers, fix and implement this!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MichaelYuan and @YaBoiB ,

Good news!  I now have 5.17.5 (13040) installed on my 12.9” M2 iPad Pro with iPadOS 17.3 and the camera rotation is now consistently correct on my external HP 27er display attached to the iPad via a USB-C to HDMI cable. I am using the internal camera.

Many thanks for all your efforts on this issue!

Best regards, Dan

P.S. I would now like to request that Zoom make it possible to see the gallery view of attendees on the display while I am sharing the content of my iPad screen. Currently when I share the screen the app on the display does not show the gallery view. If you could point me to a forum thread that already discusses this, or you could add one, that would be great!

View solution in original post

64 REPLIES 64

brianspindor
Listener

I am having the exact same issue. Facetime works correctly on both iPad and external display, but the zoom app rotates on external monitor, and rotating the iPad is not really a valid solution.

Rtteachr
Listener

Same issue here. I need zoom on the 2nd display so I can use a specific app on the iPad with my pencil. I assume this is an update needed for that app? Hopefully it is coming soon.

epiano
Listener

Still the same problem on iPad Os 16.3... Is it possible to fix this?? 

Anks
Listener

I am struggling with the same issue. Zoom development team- are you planning on fixing it anytime soon? It is a bad user experience. 

guijapa
Listener

Having the same issue... it's not just a bad UX, it can damage my company's value by not looking professional on the calls. Very disappointed with Zoom that should be a serious B2B company.

Patschino
Listener

Bei mir ist das gleiche Problem… Gibt es da mittlerweile eine Lösung für?

gianthobbit
Listener

I am experiencing the same issue, in Zoom only, on iPad Pro.

I suggest that in addition to these posts, we leave low review scores on app stores.  I hate to do something heavy-handed like this but I feel like these sort of really specific and unique use case issues don't get the eyes or development time they should without making a bit more noise.

Rtteachr
Listener

I was hoping this would be fixed with the app update that came earlier this week. Just tested it out and no such luck. Video is still rotated 90 degrees!

epiano
Listener

iPadOs 16.4 is out and still this problem persists!!! Zoom developers, any chance to fix this issue???

Jjk9004
Listener

Do the zoom developers even monitor this forum? Would be nice to at least have some acknowledgement that the problem exists and if we can expect a solution any time soon. 

jan13
Listener

I am also having the issue of video displaying as if a cell phone view, instead of full screen...

Frank_TB
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

"Do the zoom developers even monitor this forum? Would be nice to at least have some acknowledgement that the problem exists and if we can expect a solution any time soon"

Short answer. No.

Zoom expects you to submit your  feedback through the Feedback submission link 

https://zoom.us/feed  

or a Support  request through a web support ticket;

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new 

Regards

If my reply helped, don't forget to click the accept as solution button!

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @Frank_TB  and all in this thread, 

I am looking into this with Zoom developers now. We initially thought that this was an Apple issue only as discussed in this thread here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254463835, and that this is also affecting Teams to my knowledge ( I have not tested, but a customer told me that it is affecting Teams and Zoom). 

Please allow me some time and I will reply here with Feedback from the Zoom development team about this situation. 

I apologize for the late reply, I was not aware of this issue until my customer brought it to my attention. As Frank stated, Zoom developers do not monitor this forum, but the Community Champions team does our best to inform them of issues such as this. The fastest route to the Zoom Engineering and Development team is through a support ticket or if you do not have access to submit a support ticket the next best avenue is through zoom.us/feed or the community team. 

Thank you all for reporting this, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Hello! Any news about this issue? 

YuriyNos
Listener

Same issue on iPadOS 17.0

This is most likely a zoom issue. I recently used webex with my iPad and a second display connected and this issue did not occur. 

YaBoiB

Hello @Rtteachr

You are correct. We have isolated the issue; we are now looking for a solution. It should not be too much longer and we will let you know what version of the Zoom Desktop Client this will be resolved. on. I am in communication with the development team working on this solution. 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

I am speaking with Zoom developers about this issue. Hopefully, more information to come soon. Please continue to tag me if you have any questions about the progress. 

Thanks, 

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

Quick update before the holiday weekend. The developers were able to replicate the issue, and they are still working on a root cause. I am confident that we may have more progress next week. I will be looking into this more next week to update this thread. Thank you all for your continued patience while we sort this out. 

Regards,

Brandon 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I have the same issue on the released version of iPadOS 17.0

YaBoiB

@danamino

Yes, we are still working on a solution. I will post here when one is available. 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Mmaheu
Listener

Still same issue after updating to IPAD OS 17.0 and the lastest Zoom client. In addition external cameras are not working. External cameras are now supported by IPAD OS as of V17.0. 

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

Spoke to the Zoom developer today and he stated that he should have some feedback to me in the next coming weeks. Hopefully, some good news for all in this thread. I know that they are working on it based on priority. 

Thanks all for your patience, 

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Thank you, Brandon! Could you please also confirm that alongside this fix, the external camera support for iOS 17.X is also coming?

The error continues, any news?

????

YaBoiB

Hello @Yuliano26

I apologize for the delay. The dev team has found the issue and has tried to solve it with a few different solutions, but all that did not work. The dev team informed me last week that they continue researching a viable solution and will let me know once one is available. I'll pass that information on to you at that time. 

Thanks,

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hi Brandon, 

Are there any updates on this issue that you can share with us?

Cheers,

Luke

helmuthva
Listener

Hey Brandon,

did you escalate to your manager that the time to mitigation for this bug is now close to a year? This bug is making it impossible to use an iPad for Zoom in a professional setting where external monitors are the norm.

Regards,

Helmut Hoffer von Ankershoffen, CEO

helmuthva
Listener

Quick Note: Making you aware this bug exists in Google Meet. Suggest to escalate to Apple.

Additional Note: if google meet is used in a web browser window (ie. not the app) the bug doesn’t happen.

YaBoiB

Hello All in this thread, 

This issue will be resolved in the January release, version 5.17.5. That is a target date, and we usually hit our targets, but I just wanted to point that out in case our team is unable to release it in that version and has to move it to another 5.17.x version release. Zoom client release notes link is below:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0061222

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Dhiwakar
Listener

@YaBoiB Are there plans to support External Webcam on iPads? Since its already available on Facetime since iPad OS 17. 

The release notes say the external camera support should be in the December 18, 2023 version 5.17.0 (12319)

Miggymac
Listener

Yay! its fixed 🎉

What version is it fixed in? @YaBoiB says it will be fixed in 5.17.5 or later. My iPad with auto update is running 5.17.1 (12473). Is the fix released yet?

i’m running 5.17.1 and no longer have the issue.

I still have the issue on 5.17.1, but it is intermittent. Will wait for 5.17.5.

YaBoiB

Hi All, 

I have gotten some Enterprise-reported customers stating that 5.17.1 has a solution also, but I spoke to the developer, and he stated that he had not fixed this yet until 5.17.5, so the only thing that I can think of is that Apple made some changes in iOS 17.1 or 17.2 that made the different. Please let me know what iOS versions you are on and if it works for you.

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion