cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Desktop Application Will Not Launch (Windows 10) - Redux

B_Potter
Listener

This is a re-post; while trying to reply to a piggybacker on the original thread, the "accept solution" button was inadvertently clicked and there appears to be no way to undo that. Sorry about the repeat.

When installed, the Zoom desktop app (v. 5.17.0) will not launch. No desktop icon appears after installing (though the app items appear in the "Apps" list and in the "Apps" control panel). When attempting to launch, no item appears in the Windows Task Manager; the Windows "donut of eternal contemplation' appears for a few seconds; then it disappears.

Zoom was working on this system as recently as a few weeks ago but when I updated it to the current version, it stopped working. I have tried to find and download a previous version on the Zoom site but have not found an "older versions" page.

The system: HP p7-1154 (desktop)

HDD Scan: OK

System file check: passes

System scanned with antivirus, antimalware and antispyware utilities - Clean

I have tried:

* Scanning the hard drive - OK

* Deleting junk and temp files

* Scanning with antivirus, antimalware and antispyware utilities

* Checking internet connection - It is fine

* Cleaning up all temporary and junk files

* Performing scans with virus, malware and spyware scanners

* Rebooting system

* Checking to make sure camera and microphone permission are set properly

* Emptying temporary file folders and performing disk cleanup

* Making sure device drivers are updated

* Launching installer as Administrator
* Uninstalling ALL antivirus and security software

* Closing all applications except the Zoom desktop installer

* Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom app from "Apps" control panel

* Using the Zoom Uninstaller to uninstall and then reinstalling the app

* Downloading the installer again, from the official website, and installing

* Uninstalling all Zoom components, rebooting and reinstalling

* Clearing browser cache and cookies

* Booting into "Safe Mode" and repeating the install process
* Checking system requirements - System exceeds requirements
* Checking if system has enough space to install Zoom - System exceeds requirements
* Verifying permission to install the Zoom app - I am an Admin

Under no circumstance or combination of circumstances above will the application launch. I saw a recent post suggesting that this was a problem with version 5.16.x, so I tried to find and download version 5.15.11, which worked for the post'er but could not find it on Zoom's site (though I did find infected versions on other, spurious websites, which I did NOT download or install).

I would be grateful for any suggestion that would help me get the Zoom Desktop app to launch and run. Thanks, in advance, for the time you spent reading this and for any suggestions you  might have.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bruno-BaKano
Community Champion | Customer

Hi @B_Potter ,

I found your original post and see that you have already tried many steps. A reply you had didn't really help as it suggested there was something wrong with the computer and implied you needed to re-install Windows or something. That can be a pain if everything is working fine and you are just having issues with the Zoom client.

I have version 5.17.10 running fine on a HP laptop with Windows 11 and same version running on a Lenovo with Windows 10.
Just for your information and to say that is not necessarily anything wrong with that version itself.

I don't see you mentioning CleanZoom tool, so what I suggest is that you uninstall the Zoom client again and run the CleanZoom tool as documented in https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065146#collapsePC 

Running the tool should remove all files and other leftovers that often are left on a Windows system and that could be the cause for the app not starting.
In case you install again latest version and get the exact same issue, I do suggest you trying an older version, and in this case it version 5.15.5 that will be the next enforced version in May as per Zoom Software Quarterly Lifecycle Policy 
You can download the installer from this website https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions
uptodown.com is a reliable and secure platform, so you won't get infected by downloading the installer from here.

Hope this helps. Cheers,
Bruno

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Bruno-BaKano

Hi @B_Potter ,

I found your original post and see that you have already tried many steps. A reply you had didn't really help as it suggested there was something wrong with the computer and implied you needed to re-install Windows or something. That can be a pain if everything is working fine and you are just having issues with the Zoom client.

I have version 5.17.10 running fine on a HP laptop with Windows 11 and same version running on a Lenovo with Windows 10.
Just for your information and to say that is not necessarily anything wrong with that version itself.

I don't see you mentioning CleanZoom tool, so what I suggest is that you uninstall the Zoom client again and run the CleanZoom tool as documented in https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0065146#collapsePC 

Running the tool should remove all files and other leftovers that often are left on a Windows system and that could be the cause for the app not starting.
In case you install again latest version and get the exact same issue, I do suggest you trying an older version, and in this case it version 5.15.5 that will be the next enforced version in May as per Zoom Software Quarterly Lifecycle Policy 
You can download the installer from this website https://zoom-us-zoom.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions
uptodown.com is a reliable and secure platform, so you won't get infected by downloading the installer from here.

Hope this helps. Cheers,
Bruno

That worked for me too.
Thank you.
Tim

B_Potter
Listener
Thanks, Bruno; I had perused a number of threads but had been unable to find previous versions of Zoom at zoom.us. Thanks for pointing me to the CleanZoom tool; I hadn't found that either.

I did find previous versions at uptodown.com but got a warning from my malware app (Malwarebytes) saying that it was flagging the site as follows: Website Blocked: dw62.uptodown.com - v2.6.23 | Trojan: 2.0.202403061518

I downloaded the CleanZoom tool and ran it; no change. I then uninstalled Zoom, ran CleanZoom again and rebooted before installing. That didn't work either.
Downloading the v. 5.15.5 version and installing it worked. Thanks!!

Bruno-BaKano

There is definitely something wrong with later versions of Zoom and your Windows environment. Maybe some conflict of shared libraries (DLLs) or drivers, or some environmental settings (Registry keys, System variables, etc).

It is strange but the only way to proper check for a cause would be to use the troubleshooting version of the client (as documented in Troubleshooting log for Windows but that can only be provided by the Support team, available to paying customers).
Also since it is a special package (an actual different client executable) it might not display the same problem seeing this when starting.

Either way, good to know older version is working. Hopefully you won't experience the same issue when the next enforced version comes around.

Cheers,
Bruno