cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual background is still loading

caffeinatedbots
Attendee

I have been using virtual backgrounds without issue since March 2020, but in recent weeks I have sporadic issues with Zoom failing to work with any virtual backgrounds. When I turn on the camera, the feed stays black until a pop-up comes up saying that the virtual background is still loading and asking me to start video anyway or stop. I can not ever get the background to work.  Unplugging and reconnecting the webcam, changing ports on the dock, restarting Zoom don't work. Using the mic on the webcam never suffers any issues and works even when the feed is black while Zoom is apparently attempting to load the virtual background.  Once I click on "Use video" button and ignore the virtual background, the camera works without issue though obviously without the virtual background.

Setup is USB Logitech webcam attached via VAVA USB-C dock on 2019 Macbook Pro running macOS Big Sur 11.4. Zoom version is 5.7.6. 

Has anyone else encountered this or have ideas for fixes or workarounds? 

55 REPLIES 55

caffeinatedbots
Attendee

This issue is still persisting. Any ideas @Anonymous ?

Me as well, it fixed for a moment....then started again.

TURN OFF YOUR SECURITY SOFTWARE!

TriFit
Listener

I am having this exact same issue now. I may have accidently tried to use a video as a background. But the system is frozen. Any help out there? I am the host of a meeting that was supposed to begin 30 minutes ago!

dlcarraw
Listener

I have the same error message.

macOS Catalina 10.15.7. Zoom version is 5.7.3 (809).

I have the Blur background selected but have also seen this on custom backgrounds.

When I choose "use video" Zoom starts without a virtual background, but after a couple minutes the virtual background comes up.

zippity
Listener

Same problem, really annoying.  Virtual background never comes up, even after > 60 min meeting.

caffeinatedbots
Attendee

I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling Zoom. I lost all preferences, saved virtual backgrounds, etc. but at least the virtual backgrounds work at all. It is a hassle, but at least a solution exists (for me, ymmv).

Sadly, uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work for me... will retry again.

mojgan
Listener

Same issue for me out of the blue as of a couple of weeks ago.

MacOS Catalina v 10.15.7

Zoom v5.7.6

My video won't turn on at all and I get the same error message. Nothing helps. 

sjsouza
Listener

Same issue here.  I have tried removing it multiple times.  Same exact problem.  Macbook Pro, 11.5.2, zoom 5.7.6

I finally got this working again.  I removed it, and added it about four times and eventually it worked.  I have no idea what the problem was, it just started working again.

bradfountain
Listener

I have just started to experience the same issue and have unistalled and reinstalled multiple times without resolving the issue.

Sorry that that didn't work for you. It worked for me (and is still working), but I am going to change this from "solved" to unresolved in case Zoom will start paying attention for you.

wolfgangley
Listener

Same problem still exists with Zoom for Mac version 5.8.0

Using the Macbook builtin camera is not a problem and the issue only shows up when trying to use an external USB camera. The error message seems to be misleading as this has nothing to do with the virtual background, i.e. turning off the background won't solve the issue either. Note that the external USB camera is working find from within the settings section inside Zoom but fails inside meetings.

PerR
Listener

I have the same problem with MacOS 11.6, Zoom 5.8.0 (1780) and surprisingly Powerpoint 1653. Every time she I use zoom after having started PPT in presentation mode, this message appears in zoom and the camera is not started. Neiter the embedded MacBook Pro camera, nor the Thurderbolt display camera works. 

Michi
Listener

Same problem I face.
- Showed the alert "Virtual Background is still loading".
- If I check "I have a green screen", I can see the virtual background but since I don't have a green screen, my face doesn't see.

- Every time I turned on the video, I can see the same alert "Virtual Background is still loading".

- I tried to uninstall and installed several times but it still has not fixed this issue so far.

My laptop environment is below.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
macOS Big Sur ver 11.6
ZoomVersion: 5.8.0 (1780)

I have sometimes hold webinars and need to attend the webinar, too so it's very painful for me.

zippity
Listener

I was eventually able to get Virtual Backgrounds to work again by uninstalling, reinstalling, and then *rebooting* before even trying to start Zoom.  Then, it worked. Strange.

Thank you, this worked for me also! 

Michi
Listener

I have an update. It seems to relate to the antivirus software (in my case I use McAfee).
There is a possibility this is a root cause in my case.

Did you simply disable McAfee to address the issue? Or did you allow-list the Zoom app inside of McAfee? We are not seeing AV conflicts in our environment

My IT team uninstalled the McAfee once then they installed this "McAfee-Endpoint-Security-for-Mac-10.7.5-RTW-standalone-266.dmg" for my case then the virtual background worked!

AlbertB
Listener

I found that reverting back to 5.7.5 for the time being has resolved this issue. 

mqmoon
Listener

I am having the same issue. Virtual backgrounds work sporadically. 

On a company-managed computer, so unable to downgrade to an earlier release.

AlbertB
Listener

Cylance was blocking aomhost. Allowed this in my org and now the issue is resolved. 

akopco
Listener

Same issue on my end. Uninstalled two weeks ago and reinstalled - that fixed the issue for about a week. Middle of last week it started having the issue again and is still happening. Running a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro fully up-to-date on macOS Monterrey Version 12.0.1. Zoom version 5.8.3 (2240).

ppeters
Listener

Yup!  I tried deleting the program, reinstalling it and it seemed to work, but randomly, it started up again.

ppeters
Listener

Hey Zoom....can you please fix this?  I had no trouble since I uploaded Big Sur, and now lots of issues.  Big Sur has been out for quite some time, so I would think you would have the bugs worked out by now.

JimBoy
Listener

I have experienced the EXACT  same thing.

djac13
Listener

Here's the fix I received from Zoom (on a Mac) that solved the issue: 

1. Quit Zoom

2. Delete folder ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/zoom.us/data
3. Delete file ~/Library/Preferences/zoom.us/ZoomChat.plist 
4. Restart the device.

Is there a fix for Windows 10?  This fix for MAC looks like it is exactly what I need.   I have tried to uninstall 4 times and reinstall but still get "Virtual Background is Still Loading"  I believe there is files that were not removed in the uninstall process.  I even bought a new webcam but the same problem I have.  HELP!!

You can do the same, let me explain to you.

C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Zoom. · Right-click on the data folder and click Delete.

Solve the video loading issue.

JimBoy
Listener

I have the same issue on a dell laptop,  then when I click on use video, it doesn't use virutal background but goes to the normal screen

You can do the next, let me explain to you.

C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Zoom. · Right-click on the data folder and click Delete.

Agastya_123
Listener

Try updating zoom

I have updated 3 times without fixing the problem.

mstrout
Listener

Under Preferences > Video > Camera make sure your camera is toggled to the external and not the laptops. When I've unplugged from external monitor and camera the setting defaults to my MacBook's internal camera. When I plug back into external monitor and camera I have to adjust back to external camera.

MelaniePerry
Listener

I have the same issue.  Zoom all up to date.  VERY annoying since I use Zoom to livestream weekly.  Sort it out @Anonymous it's what I pay  you for.

drbala
Listener

Same issue today 2023-03-04. (Uninstalled zoom, rebooted my windows PC, reinstalled, rebooted computer) x 4. But still no luck. It's sad that I had to type the word "luck" in a technical forum. However, that's the quality of software we're dealing with.

I would appreciate if there is a fool proof way that anyone has found, or if @Anonymous tech support knows. To me this started happening the third time I launched zoom after having added an mp4 video background a few days ago. It worked fine the first two times, but today it doesn't show. I started a camera app to verify that the Camera is connected and working.

You can try to do the same way I solved the problem, let me explain to you.