cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a screen

haardath
Listener

Hi, 

Could anyone help me with options of screen sharing?

First option is "multiple participants can share simultaneously" and the other one is "who can start sharing when someone is sharing - all participants". Is this the same? 

7 REPLIES 7

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

Zoom has a document that breaks this down pretty well.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153-Sharing-your-screen-or-desktop-on-Zoom

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Could you please show me the exact part of this article? I don't see anything about difference of these options.

ZoomTestKitchen

I should have also included this link which explains each option.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115000424286-Sharing-multiple-screens-simultaneously

These two options are not the same.

• Who can share? Only Host | All Participants
    • I start all of meetings with Only Host selected. Which means by default nobody else can share during the meeting, unless I change this setting, or if they are a co-host.
  • Who can start sharing when someone else is sharing? Only Host | All Participants
    • I start all of my meetings with Only Host selected. Which means when I am sharing nobody else can start sharing, even if they are a co-host.
      Note: Actually, when you select Only Host on the first option, this 2nd option defaults to Only Host.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

Thanks for the link. 

But what the difference between:

1. How to enable Simultaneous Screen Sharing as the host
- Start your Zoom meeting as the host.
- To the right of the Share Screen button, click the upward arrow and then select Multiple participants can share simultaneously.
This allows multiple participants to share their screen at the same time

and 

2. Any participants (including the host) using the Zoom desktop client can click Share Screen to begin sharing. Even if a someone is already sharing a screen, another participant can begin sharing.

These two options both allow simultaneous screen sharing, or I miss something in the documentation. 

Hi Jeff,

My user experience changed today.  I use Zoom daily (my personal meeting room) for tutoring design software, most often having the student share their screen.  The first thing I always do is set "Multiple participants can share simultaneously," so that the student can share.  

Today, in a first lesson with a student, he could not find the Share Screen button.  After 10 minutes of hunting for a solution, I realized that the Advanced Sharing Options were set to Host Only.  This is the first time this has happened.  It's not very logical to turn on "multiple participants..." and still have to change the "who can share" setting, which is hidden in the Advanced Sharing Options.

And it appears that there's no way to change the default.  I'm a Licensed user, not Basic, for what it's worth.  I believe I updated yesterday for the first time in a few weeks and perhaps that caused this change in the default.

Is there something I'm missing?  Or is the default always going to be Host Only?  Many thanks for any guidance.

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @mkinoax 

There is actually a way to control those sharing defaults. 

This is managed via the Settings page in the Zoom web portal, accessed here: https://zoom.us/profile/setting

There you can find the Screen Sharing options, where you will have the same sharing settings as you do in the live meeting. What you set here will be the default for your meetings going forward, while still being able to change them during the live session. 

Perfect!  I'm not used to having the main settings outside of the application, but I'll remember that going forward.  Thank you for the help!