cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen share appears faded

alinder
Listener

One of my users is experiencing an issue where his screen share appears faded or washed out to the other people on the meeting.  The color will flicker to the proper levels occasionally, but most of the time it looks faded.  Everything appears normal to the user who is having this issue though.  This issue only occurs in Zoom and not Slack huddles or Google Hangouts.  The user is on a MacBook Air M1(2020) running macOS 12.6.2 and Zoom v 5.13.11 and isn't using an external monitor or anything. This has been happening across multiple Zoom versions though.  We have tried the following steps to resolve:

1. Shut down and restart the computer.

2. Uninstall and reinstall Zoom

3. Upgrade Zoom to the latest version

4. Disable Hardware Acceleration under Preferences > Screen Share > Advanced.

Reinstalling Zoom seems to help for a short time, but the issue starts again within a couple hours.

Does anyone else know what else we can try to resolve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Paul_And
Listener

Hi Alinder, 

I had the same issue. I did everything you did but no luck. However, I did something different that appears to have fixed the problem. 

In Zoom, in Preferences > Screen Share > Advanced, there is a dropdown option for 'Screen Capture Mode', previously mine was set to 'auto', however I changed it to 'Previous Operating Systems' and it appears to have fixed the problem. Now, when screen sharing on Zoom it no longer looks washed out. 

Let me know if that fixes the problem. 

Thanks,

Paul 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Paul_And
Listener

Hi Alinder, 

I had the same issue. I did everything you did but no luck. However, I did something different that appears to have fixed the problem. 

In Zoom, in Preferences > Screen Share > Advanced, there is a dropdown option for 'Screen Capture Mode', previously mine was set to 'auto', however I changed it to 'Previous Operating Systems' and it appears to have fixed the problem. Now, when screen sharing on Zoom it no longer looks washed out. 

Let me know if that fixes the problem. 

Thanks,

Paul 

PS, I'm also using a Mac, and I also have the option checked for 'Use hardware acceleration to optimize video sharing'

Thanks Paul, that was a huge help.  It definitely improved things for both users who were seeing this issue.  Out of curiosity, were you also running macOS 12.x, and did you try upgrading to 13.x?  I'm hoping that I can do that and then flip these users back to Auto.

I'm currently using macOS 12.6.3  I haven't tried updating to 13.x so I'm not sure what the impact would be. However, I don't think it's necessarily a macOS issue, because a colleague also had the zoom screen sharing faded/washed out issue, however he was using a Windows laptop. Therefore I think the issue is with Zoom, as opposed to MacOS.