cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ZOOM PWA SOFTWARE - Awful performance - Camera Instability!

bernie_eu
Listener

😥I can report after all testing, uninstalling, and reinstalling now the PWA version for Chrome, that the overwhelming issues seem to be not solvable? is 1. The picture is too highly magnified and has no option to lower the magnification? (Changing the camera option makes no difference, such controls seem to have no effect?), and 2: The shakiness and poor quality picture is appalling, not stable, like an old-fashioned television) the irony of ironies is that the built-in Camera is beauty at its best, high-quality HD. If I choose "Same as System" or Front Camera" it changes nothing, it's Zooms juxster imposed online software camera that rules. Pretty crap basically.

16 REPLIES 16

MicahHoffman
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi Bernie,

What kind of device are you using to access the Chrome PWA app? Are you on a Chromebook?

Are you using this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.pwa.twa ?

And are you comparing it to the old ChromeOS app that is being phased out by Google? 

Note: Due to support for ChromeOS apps are being phased out across all operating systems by November 5, 2022, Zoom has released the Zoom for Chrome PWA (Progressive Web App), which is intended to replace the ChromeOS Zoom app. We strongly recommend admins begin migrating users from the ChromeOS app to the new Zoom for Chrome PWA to ensure a smooth transition.  

Alternatively, you might be able to install the Android version on your device if it is capable:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings 

Can you share example screenshots of the problems you are seeing?

Thanks,

Micah

Im using top of the range Asus Chromebook, which uses android by default. The app looks good, the Camera is crap! How the hell can we adjust the camera back to the installed hd wide lens camera on the chomebook itself?  The PWA software, shows the Camera like the old way before I bought my new machine, as I explained, in close, no background, face up against the screen, slightly distorted picture. Massive disappointment! Where are the reset controls? For now I have gone back to the old standard chrome Zoom edition as the picture quality is supurb until there is a fix to the PWA Camera focus issue? I don't know what else to say, I am not a techy, except help, help, help!

MicahHoffman

Hi Bernie,

Did installing the Android version provide a better experience on your android capable Chromebook? 

Here's the link again: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings  

Can you reach out to Asus (https://www.asus.com/us/support/) about this? It would be great to hear if they have a solution for using the wide angle view.

Do you know if this is a common issue with all PWA apps to not use your Wide Angle view, or if this is something unique to the Zoom application? 

Can any other Chromebook user weigh in on if their Wide Angle view goes away for them as well? 

What is the specific Chromebook model you are using?

Thanks,

Micah

Asus Chromebook:

ASUS Chromebook Flip CX5500FEA 15.6" Full HD Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core i5-1135G7, 8G RAM, 256 GB M.2 NVMe SSD

Google Chrome Operating System:
Version 101.0.4951.59 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I am not allowed to download this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=us.zoom.videomeetings

I have not contacted ASUS (https://www.asus.com/us/support/) as its a Zoom issue I am sure.

I can report after all testing, uninstalling, and reinstalling now the PWA version for Chrome, that the overwhelming issues seem to be not solvable? is 1. The picture is too highly magnified and has no option to lower the magnification? (Changing the camera option makes no difference, such controls seem to have no effect?), and 2: The shakiness and poor quality picture is appalling, not stable, like an old-fashioned television) the irony of ironies is that the built-in Camera is beauty at its best, high-quality HD. If I choose  "Same as System" or Front Camera" it changes nothing, it's Zooms juxster imposed online software camera that rules. Pretty crap basically. 

bernie_eu
Listener

Micah, this is not an ASUS Issue, thhis is a ZOOM creation issue, that does not acnoledge chromebooks! Why should I have to run around trying to find a fix, why is ZOOM USELESS at support on this issue? They have designed the PWA Application for Android Phones, not Laptops (Chromebooks) that run on Andriod, so the Camera view is made for phones, not Chromebooks. Someone needs to fix this, or it will be a disaster for ZOOM, migration of customers to another application no doubt. Again HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

bernie_eu
Listener

I am totally depressed by all this, I cannot find any answers anywhere, the Zoom auto-support bot is also useless. Someone should have thought about this?

bernie_eu
Listener

No Solution yet - pressed "Accept Solution" by mistake! 😐

MicahHoffman

Hi Bernie,

Thanks for all of the updates and details. 

Can anyone on a different Chromebook model that is equipped with a wide angle camera chime in and let us know if they have the same issue? 

I'm going to test this and will definitely use my connections to try to get this fixed for you Bernie! 

Thanks,

Micah

Same problem with camera selections on the PWA app.  Uninstalled and reinstalled PWA app. used the littel arrow next to the camera and viola! able to select cameras, but got the fisheye extra zoom view reported by OP. Still have no solution to the audio cutting out while screen sharing. Also disappointed by the lack of whiteboard and polling options. 

Hosting meetings is very problematic on the PWA app. In fact, it is so bad, that I may just drop Zoom altogether.  If you cannot collaborate on a platform designed for collaboration, then why bother? Additionally, the problems have been known for months, and Zoom has made no effort to resolve it, instead they are discontinuing support on the Chromebook platform for the extension. I really wish Zoom would find an app that works with robust features, speaker views, screen sharing with audio sharing. 

munayhealing
Listener

This is a REALLY bad issue! I have a PC and just got a Chomebook (Acer Chromebook CB315-3H Series, Model N19Q3). In the Zoom PWA app there are ZERO options to enhance video. I'm using a Logitec C922 pro webcam that records in 720p at 60 fps or 1080p at 30 fps. On my PC, the picture is GREAT! Using the Chromebook with the webcam through the Zoom PWA app, the video quality is absolutely horrible. Its not only extremely pixilated, but the latency is ridiculous. I will be traveling next week and have a large class to teach. I got the Chromebook so I could leave my laptop with my family during my travel, but with this quality of video, that's not happening. My students will be more distracted by the video quality than engaged in the class.  This IS a Zoom PWA issue. There are no settings for video quality within the app like there is on Windows or PC. The quality of the image on my work desktop and personal laptop using the same camera are vastly different and much higher quality. PLEASE ZOOM - HELP FIX THIS ISSUE!

munayhealing your post is from May, 2023.  Video quality on the windows OS?  PC?  We're running the latest Windows 10 and the problems began with the last update.  Has support read your post?  Do they respond?  Thanks.

NateKCam
Listener

Hello All,

I can report also having TERRIBLE audio issues with the Zoom PWA. It's literally trash. We use meeting owl pros in classrooms at my school to capture audio and video and I listened to some of the most recent recordings after complaints from students and teachers and thought I'd do a little digging. I'm attaching a screenshot and will explain it. This is definitely a zoom problem as will become clear.

The screenshot contains 4 audio files that I downloaded from zoom recordings. The constant in these recordings is that the only audio is my voice with the exception of remote participants I brought in on the top track. Where you see the waveform increase is when those remote participants talk.

Observe the difference between the first two track waveform sizes and the second two. The first two were recorded with the zoom chrome app, which is no longer supported after August of this year. The second two were recorded with the zoom PWA. Again it was just my voice as the input source going through the meeting owl. I consciously placed myself at an equal distance from the owl in similar spots of the room and used the same volume. The fourth wave form is smaller because that room is bigger. Tracks 3 and 4 (the ones recorded on the PWA) are undiscernible, while tracks 1 and 2 (recorded on the no longer supported chrome app) are discernable. To add to this neither the chrome app nor the pwa have any mic input level controls so there is something happening in the PWA that is causing a great product (the meeting owl) to perform badly, when it doesn't using the web app. We probably have 50 setups of the owl running zoom through chromebooks so this will be a SERIOUS issue for my school when the web app stops working for good. Zoom, please advise and/or fix the PWA quickly, as this poor performance is not consistent with your reputation!

Yes...PLEASE create a fix. I was going to further upgrade my subscription but have now had to cancel it completely & migrate to Google Meet which I don't like or want to do because I need to integrate Zoom with other programs I use for my business. I cannot do that with Google Meet  & particular programs. This is so beyond my high expectations & past experiences with zoom & very disappointing. 

Overit
Listener

Well said. Every time I have a device to use on zoom I have to figure out how to optimize it. And if you're poor like me and all you can afford are these lame chromebooks, we seem to be doomed to have poor zoom quality. I agree the PWA seems to be not much of an improvement. Why is everything so hard?

ggonzalez
Listener

I am curious if there are any updates to this. I have a chrombook and the PWA has limited functionality, camera and audio are bad. Even accross top tier chrombooks. I am getting ready to cancel my business subscription.