cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing instrument while sharing audio

brorat
Listener

I'm a member of an online chromatic harmonica forum with members from around the world.  When we meet weekly via Zoom, we sometimes take turns playing our instrument for both entertainment and critique.  Up to this point, I've played by turning off "noise suppression" (setup for musicians) and I play a backing track from a small speaker near my external mic.  I'd like to do a better job of balance.

I found that I can "share" audio via the share screen button.  When I have noise suppression OFF and am "sharing audio" to play a backing track on my computer, I find that the share audio works fine, but my harmonica playing is very distorted ... even with the noise suppression OFF.

I would like to be able to play the backing track by sharing audio, and use my external mic to play my harmonica along with the track without distortion.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is some info about my system:

Zoom Version 5.13.7; 64-bit; noise suppression off; shared audio

HP PC running Windows 11 Home; 64-bit; Intel Core i5 w/ 16 GB RAM

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

jonray
Listener

Hi brorat, this is interesting. I am a piano teacher and after upgrading my laptop to Widows 11 I have had audio issues with Zoom. I can hear my student's VOICE, and they can hear mine. I can also hear them play the piano. However,  when I play the piano, they cannot hear it. NOTHING at all. I have tried turning off "noise suppression" (setup for musicians) , and I have also adjusted the Windows audio settings (audio enhancements OFF), etc. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone know if there is an issue with musical instruments and Windows 11. It worked fine for me on Windows 10. Any help will be appreciated. I am desperate to sort this out as soon as possible please... Thank you!

PS I also have a HP PC running Windows 11 Home; 64-bit; Intel Core i7 w/ 16 GB RAM.

I noticed ther is a program on HP called HP Audio Center which has noise suppression automatically ON. I thought that might be the answer so I disabled it. But that didn't work. I even uninstalled the HP Audio Centre. Still no luck.

Hi Jonray.

I just did a "test" meeting in Zoom where I set the noise suppression off, i.e.; setup for musicians.  However, I did NOT use the "share audio" setting.  I did a recording of the "meeting", and everything was fine.  My voice came through clearly, and my harmonica (through my external Blue Yeti mic) was also clear.  We seem to have two different issues.  My setup would seem to be fine in your piano lesson situation.  My issue is when I combine "share audio" AND "setup for musicians".

Hi brorat, thanks for the reply. To be clear then, did your test meeting involve talking/playing harmonica  remotely with someone else via wifi? I ask because when I give a piano lesson I have to select "share audio" I think. Is that correct? Otherwise how do you communicate with your fellow players round the world? I will look into this "share audio" thing, thank you. I appreciate your quick  response.

jonray
Listener

Hi brorat, Apologies, I got that wrong. I always just select "use computer audio", NOT "share audio" However, I just learned that you can select "share audio" by going to "share screen > advanced". I will select that and try again to see if that helps, but If I am right, from what you say in your reply, it might not. I will report back....

brorat
Listener

So ... had no one else run into this issue?  It would seem to be pretty common unless it's just something about my setup or system.

brorat
Listener

Just to (hopefully!) make my problem clear:  I have turned off noise suppression in Zoom, and the backing track I play from my computer comes through perfectly.  However, when I simultaneously play my harmonica along with the backing track, it's the harmonica that sounds distorted and cuts in and out.  It sounds the same as if I still have noise suppression turned ON!  I have gone into my computer sound setting and disabled "enhancements" to the mic.  I just can't make the distortion go away.  Very frustrating!

jonray
Listener

Hi brorat, ah, OK, seems like we both have audio issues but not quite the same ones.... With me, my students can't hear anything when I play the piano, yet they can hear my voice. For the moment I'm getting round it by reverting to my old laptop with runs Windows 10. (The screen is broken so I've rigged up a separate monitor, I'm using an old iPhone for the webcam (using Camo software) and I have a USB microphone)... anyway my students can now hear me. So I'm wondering it is either: 

1. An issue with audio in Windows 11 (my new laptop's OS) -seems Windows 10 works, but Windows 11 doesn't. , or

2. An issue with HP audio software (my new laptop is a HP)

Either way it's very frustrating.

Can anyone out there help please?

brorat
Listener

Hi Jonray,

Have you set the Zoom audio settings to NOT have noise suppression on?  To do this, you'll need to go into the audio setting.  Scroll down to Audio Profile, and click in the button that says "Original Sound for Musicians".  Then, when you're in your Zoom session, go to the upper left corner of the screen and you'll see a bar that says "Original Sound for Musicians: On" or "Off".  You simply click on this bar and make sure it says "On".  This will turn off noise suppression, and your music should not be distorted when heard by your students.  I hope this helps.

jonray
Listener

Hi brorat, yes indeed, thank you for mentioning that but yes, I already do switch on "Original Sound for Musicians" every time I give a lesson. It's "On" definitely. It's really odd that my students hear my voice but when I play piano they can't hear it. I also tried CLAPPING. The same - students can't hear it. There's definitely some noise suppression going on in the background even though it's switched off in Zoom. Odd and frustrating!.

Sorry Jonray!  That about exhausts my knowledge of this issue.  I'm hoping someone will jump in and help.   We can't be the only two in the world that have these issues!!