cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Magic Keyboard Stops Working When Using Zoom and any Document App

RJP1234
Listener

Zoom regularly kills my Magic Keyboard on my iPad Pro.

I use Zoom about 4 times a week.  I also use either Google Docs, Notes, Messages simultaneously to create documents, letters, notes, and texts.  

However, almost every time I use Zoom my Keyboard will become unresponsive and I am unable to use Google Docs, Notes, Messages, etc.  This makes multitasking impossible.  And it makes my iPad Pro the worst “laptop” I’ve ever owned.

The only way to fix it is to restart my iPad and re-join the meeting and hope that Zoom won’t freeze my keyboard up again. Seriously uncool. 

I’ve contacted Apple about this but I’m convinced Zoom is the real culprit as my keyboard doesn’t crash on any other app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RJP1234
Listener

I think I solved it… after multiple years of pain…

You have to RESET settings on the iPad.

Instructions

* Search for Reset in settings

* Choose the Result for “Reset General”

* Tap the word Reset under “Transfer or Reset iPad”

* Choose Reset All Settings

This will result in some annoyances like having to type in your Wi-Fi passwords again, or choosing which apps show up on your Action Center again, etc etc. But… my keyboard works again while multitasking!!! Priceless!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Seikatsu
Listener

Same issue: used the Zoom app (5.10.2) on iPad Pro (iPad OS 15.1) to screenshare, and the Magic Keyboard stopped working completely.

Killing the Zoom app forcefully solves the problem (did not need to restart full iPad).

RJP1234
Listener

I think I solved it… after multiple years of pain…

You have to RESET settings on the iPad.

Instructions

* Search for Reset in settings

* Choose the Result for “Reset General”

* Tap the word Reset under “Transfer or Reset iPad”

* Choose Reset All Settings

This will result in some annoyances like having to type in your Wi-Fi passwords again, or choosing which apps show up on your Action Center again, etc etc. But… my keyboard works again while multitasking!!! Priceless!

Ronjmande
Listener

The solution below is too draconian. How about Zoom just fixes this horrible problem?

That would be nice. However Zoom didn’t respond after years of emailing them. Apple didn’t respond after years of emailing them either. Re-setting just the Settings isn’t actually too bad. Just make sure it’s “Reset All Settings” and not “Erase all contents and Settings”.