cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent Zoom from opening a web page?

Raphaël_R
Listener

Hello,

I use Zoom many times a day, and the desktop app launches directly from links in calendar invites. Is there a way to bypass the webpage that systematically opens and stays open even though it reroutes to the desktop app? As I have multiple Zoom calls every day, I end up with unnecessary open Zoom webpage tags in my browser, it messes up with my OCD 😉 

I looked in settings, etc. but I could only find the converse, ie allowing users to open in browser as opposed to the desktop app. 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

colegs
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

@Raphaël_R I understand the frustration, but short of opening the meetings from Zoom itself, it is not possible to avoid the jump from the web page.  As the links are all URLs, it goes to the URL to identify the meeting and verify the client exists, then jumps to the client.

I agree that this is maddening.  There should be a way to program this differently..

Why do you need to open a web browser tab to identify a meeting and verify a client exists? Why can't Zoom just do this directly?

Why doesn't Zoom quit when I leave the meeting?

colegs

@mriddett if you are clicking on a meeting link, it is a URL so the default process for URLs it to open a web browser.  Once it opens the Zoom site in the browser, it will try to open the client if it exists on your machine.  If you want to open the meeting from your client, you can skip this.  Otherwise, there is no way for Zoom to recognize a URL prior to it going to a web page to try to intercept it and route you to the client.

as of a month or so ago, i noticed that "some" links do bypass the web browser and joins the meeting in the app right away. 

i prefer one or the other, for consistency & expectations sake. i have not been able to determine why dome links do this & some don't.

i did, however, notice just now (which is why i'm prompted to find this thread & reply), that clicking a link in my calendar bypassed the web browser & opened the app & joined the meeting.

when i tested the same link that's in an email, that link opened in the web browser with the usual prompt to join the meeting.

additionally, lately i've had some links that open in the web browser gave the usual prompt to launch the app, but sometimes the app installer would automatically download!!!

what is up with that?!?!

FYI: i'm using macOS 13 (Ventura); Safari is my default browser; but i'm using Fantastical rather than the built-in calendar app (if any of that makes any difference). and i've been staying current with the Zoom app versions as they come up.

colegs

@SyberKnight I am not sure if there is some logic in Fantastical that is detecting the client and opening it there, but I tested using Gmail in Safari and I still get the webpage before the client opens.