cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Keep Person on Zoom Screen while using Word Doc

ZoomComm
Listener

Hi, I would really appreciate some help, please.

When I am doing a video call on Zoom, I have to take notes during our call which I do on a Microsoft word document, unfortunately since the new Zoom upgrade, I no longer have the option to pin the person or I think it used to be called "Keep on Top", (which I used to do by right-clicking on the top of the screen of the person and it gave me the option). This meant that the person would stay on the screen even while I had a Microsoft Word doc open. Now as soon as I click on the Word doc to begin taking notes, all I can see is the Word doc and can no longer see the Zoom screen. As opposed to, before the update, I could keep the person on the screen in front of me and have the Word doc in front of me at the same time.

Not being able to do this is making my job harder as sometimes I also have to have my Word doc in front of me to look at bullet points that I am speaking to them about and I have to talk to them without actually seeing them. I hope this isn't too confusing, if I need to explain further, please let me know. Thanks for your help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZoomComm
Listener

Hi Ray,

I tried what you said and although it didn't work exactly the way you were describing, I did manage a workaround. I am very grateful to you, thanks again!

Karen

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

@ZoomComm – both pinning and spotlighting are techniques used to control viewing participants’ video. This Zoom Support article has details on pinning, and this article has details on spotlighting.

Also important to the viewing process is the notion of View – the setting in the upper right corner. Normally we see Gallery and Speaker views selectable.  This Zoom Support article has detailed information on selecting the video layout.

I’m confident that if you get a good understanding of these concepts, you’ll be able to configure your Zoom window in a way that will work well for your workflow. 

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

Hi Ray,

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed reply.

I have tried pinning and it only pins the person while the Zoom screen is there, unfortunately, as soon as I click on my Word doc, the Zoom screen goes out of view and only the Word doc can be seen on my screen. However, I have never tried the spotlighting feature, perhaps this will keep the person in my view even while I am using my Word doc. I will try it and let you know. Thanks again!

Ray_Harwood

Hey, @ZoomComm – I think I misunderstood your situation a bit!

i thought you had your Word document on Screen Share. Sounds to me like you want to have Word and Zoom open simultaneously. That’s more of a Windows question – but relatively easy to do.

First, click on your Word document, bringing it to the front. Now hold down the Windows key and press the Right Arrow key. Your Word document should dock to the right hand side of your screen.  Depending on your computer’s settings, Windows might then give you a set of small Windows pictures over on the left side – you can pick any of these to fill the left hand side … so pick the Zoom Window. 

If you didn’t get to set the Zoom Window on the left, repeat the process above: highlight the Zoom Window to bring it to the front, hold down the Windows key and press the left arrow key, and your Zoom Window should occupy the left side.

Note: You can also dock Windows by dragging the top menu bar of a Window to the right or left edge of your screen. This takes a little practice, but I use this technique all the time!

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

That is super helpful, thank you so much, I will try and let you know. Thank you!

ZoomComm
Listener

Hi Ray,

I tried what you said and although it didn't work exactly the way you were describing, I did manage a workaround. I am very grateful to you, thanks again!

Karen