cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep the Video Panel visible while screen sharing?

WThompson
Listener

How do I keep the Video Panel visible while screen sharing?. It always disappears when I screen share and I have to turn it back on again.

20 REPLIES 20

_JTovie_
Listener

Please check this article: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360034188592-Sharing-Your-Screen-While-Seeing-All-Meeting-....

If this helped, please remember to click on the "Accept as Solution" button below.

I do this but don't like to have top do that every time and it takes time and effort which is a distraction when I am teaching.  If a setting to keep as default that would help.  Thanks

ian13
Listener

I have a similar problem as WThompson.

The problem isn't that I can't show the Video Panel, it's that I would like it to be shown by default when starting Video Sharing. The page linked above says
"The Participant Video Panel will show by default"
but it is hidden by default in my case.

It is quite disruptive when I am sharing multiple docs / windows and switch between them regularly.
Please advise how to fix / change the default.

Using Zoom 5.10.4 (5035) for PC.

_JTovie_
Listener

Kindly see below.

_JTovie__0-1656677768227.png

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360034188592-Sharing-Your-Screen-While-Seeing-All-Meeting-...

If this helped, please remember to click on the "Accept as Solution" button below.

Hi JTovie,

Those steps do show the Video Panel for me, but I don't want to have to do that every time I start screen sharing.
I want this behaviour:

ian13_0-1656686368020.png

Thanks.

I do this but don't like to have top do that every time and it takes time and effort which is a distraction when I am teaching. If a setting to keep as default that would help. Thanks

_JTovie_
Listener

Are you using 2 monitors at the same time?

Would you be able to download the latest version of the Zoom desktop application. Could be a bug..

Hey JTovie,

No, I'm using a single, 4K monitor.

Yes, I'm on the latest version, regularly update. I've been experiencing this "default" problem for at least a year now.

_JTovie_
Listener

Hi  ian13,

Gotcha. Prior to screen sharing, you have the Gallery View, correct? You can see all the participants at once?

Or you're on Speaker view?

I never experience this default issue as I'm always on the Gallery view.

Can you make you sure have a Gallery view before sharing your screen?

see attachment:

Hi JTovie,

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, it didn't help - I tried screen sharing from Gallery view as well as Speaker view, in both cases when the screen sharing started, the participants' videos disappeared (until I manually showed the Video Panel).

_JTovie_
Listener

Hi, please try to enable the 'Side-by-side Mode' from your Zoom desktop application settings > Share Screen.

See attached snapshot for reference.

I am having this same problem. Whether I start the Share from Gallery view or Speaker View, the Video Panel still disappears and has to be turned on again from the floating Control Panel - More Menu. Very frustrating! I do have Side-by-Side mode turned on in the Share Screen Settings.

Any other suggestions for keeping this panel on?

Allan

ian13
Listener

Hey Alches,

Unfortunately I still have not found an improvement to this behaviour - I'm still manually showing the Video Panel every time I start a screen share.

Hey _JTovie_,
Apologies for the late reply - unfortunately the Side-by-Side Mode did not help. I still stop seeing the other participants' videos when I start a screen share, until I manually Show the Video Panel.
One piece of info that might be relevant - I run Zoom in a window, not fullscreen:

ian13_0-1670837447472.png

Hoping there's a fix, or at least a keyboard shortcut to Show the Video Panel.

Hi Alches and ian13,

Can you also check from your desktop application if you have the 'Dual monitor' enabled? but only using 1 screen? If yes, kindly disable the 'Dual Monitor'

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362583-Using-Zoom-desktop-client-with-dual-monitors

Keep us posted. Thanks!

Hi _JTovie_,

Nope, that setting is off for me. Was a good try though! Any other suggestions?

DrRA
Listener

I have the exact same problem. It's very frustrating. I know it sounds like it's no big deal, but it's extremely annoying that you have to manually go to more options and select the video panel option every, single, time.

Like someone else said, a hotkey would be great, at the very least.  

matakourti
Listener

Had the same problem...! Try when clicking on the share screen and you see than new window "screen" of options, wheather you have checked "optimize for video" that's our problem!!! It is on the left bottom of the screen, next to "share sound"! uncheck "optimize for video" and there you go video panel works by default now even in shared screen! 

@matakourti - That was it! Works for me too. Thanks!

I haven't tested what the drawbacks of not using "optimize for video" are, but at this point, they'd have to be very significant to warrant dealing with the video panel hiding behaviour!

This was the tip that solved the problem for me. Thanks Matakourti. 

This solved my problem too! I'm a Deaf educator and we recently had to do a remote learning day and it was awful that they changed this since the last time we had to do a remote learning day. I was so lost and confused when I couldn't see what my students were saying. I had to constantly stop the screen share because I didn't know I had to manually change the settings. I'm so glad unclicking the "optimize video" worked. I'm able to share my screen without having to worry if I missed what my students said via ASL.