cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: local recordings not showing host video in speaker view

joshsteinto
Listener

For the past month or so my local recordings of 1on1 meetings in Speaker View only show the guest's video but not the host's (i.e. mine). Both audio streams work fine, but the video stays fixed on the guest. I haven't pinned videos or anything. I don't have this issue with cloud recordings.  Is this a bug or do I have something set wrong?

23 REPLIES 23

Alex_PFT
Participant | Zoom Partner

The recording should show the active speaker. See this for all possible layouts:

Recording layouts – Zoom Support

sweile
Listener

I've noticed the same thing.  Have you found a solution?

Alex_PFT

Thanks, but I already saw that page.  It doesn't answer the question.

No I'm afraid not. 

Sort of an aside, but I noticed the note on that page "Note: You can only display participants' names in cloud recordings." But my local recordings have started showing my guests' name, which leads me to believe there's a bug.

I just received this message from Zoom's help center:

I believe that a setting on your Zoom desktop client might be turned off. Can you please follow the instructions below so you can record both your video feed and other meeting participants?

1. Launch the Zoom desktop client.
  2. Click on your profile photo.
  3. Select Settings from the menu.
  4. Navigate to the Video tab.
  5. Make sure See myself as the active speaker while speaking is ticked.

Technically that works but it just replaces one problem with another. It means I have to look at myself when I speak during the meeting, which is not pleasant. Regardless, I've always had that option un-ticked but I've never had this problem until a month ago. Thanks anyway.

Do let us know if you get any more answers.

dvscarr
Listener

I am having this exact issue and it's a huge problem for my business. I can record both screens in gallery mode, but now instead of switching back and forth between Active Speakers, it just records the guest. I'm a counsellor and "See myself as active viewer" makes Zoom unusable for me because it means I can't see my client's facial expressions while I'm talking. 

TurnerSparks
Listener

I have the exact same problem but have found that when I have three or more people on the problem doesn't exist.  Does everyone find the same?

sweile
Listener

Yes, that's what we discovered.

Hello
I'm a piano teacher and I'm having the same problem in the last 2 weeks.
I didn't change anything. Same settings on zoom, same mic, same cables, same webcam, same OS, same apps... Everything like the past 2 years and suddenly my local recordings don't show me anymore teaching... just my student watching me...and my sound..
I "solved" the problem for now changing to gallery view, but it's not good for my students because the piano image on recording it's half the ideal size..
Please let me know if you fix this problem
Thank you

I've just installed de last update Version: 5.9.3 (4239)
I've tried and the problem is still happening...not solved

dvscarr
Listener

Someone on Twitter suggested going back to a previous version of Zoom. They downgraded to 5.8.6 (2879) and said that it works. I haven't tested it yet but will report back on how it goes. 

Pretty terrible to have to go down several versions just to regain essential functionality. I'm so frustrated with Zoom and am looking for alternatives. What's the point in paying hundreds of dollars when it can't do the one thing I need?! 

How do we do that?

Thank you a lot for this solution mate!!

I downloaded the 5.8.6 version and it solved the problem. Thank you a lot!!!!

joshsteinto
Listener

In the meantime while we're waiting for a fix, you should try recording to the cloud. This method has worked for me. It's just that I want it to work for recording directly to my computer like it used to.

Garyw88
Listener

Experiencing the exact same problem. I bought a new laptop and since then it only records the guest. When using my old laptop it works fine. I'm stating the same as everyone else but hoping by bumping this message it adds a bit more weight of importance so the problem is addressed. 

Interesting. Are you running the same version of Zoom on both computers?  Mac or PC?

ikerlanz
Listener

¡¡Hola!! Estoy aquí exactamente con el mismo problema. Puedo ver a mis clientes en la grabación, pero nada sobre mi cámara. Mis clientes necesitan verme en mis consultorías, no verse a sí mismos. ¿Alguna solución por favor?

joshsteinto
Listener

Good news! (Sort of.) After some back-and-forth with Zoom Support, I got this reply:  "Upon checking with our backend team, this issue has been happening with the current version of Zoom client for Mac OS users. Our engineering has been checking and working for this issue to be resolved on the Zoom client version 5.10. However, we still don't have any details as to when will this issue be resolved."

mreedm
Listener

The sooner this is fixed the better — this just happened to me today and it's very frustrating to now have a recording of an hour-long conversation that only recorded the video of my guest, even when I was speaking.

joshsteinto
Listener

Good news (with a catch). The latest update 5.10.0 has solved the problem 🙂

The catch is that the other problem, of local recordings showing participant names , has not been fixed 😞

Zoom support says they're working on a fix for the participant-name issue: "This concern is already being worked on by our engineering team and as of the moment, there's no information as to when the fix will be release. Rest assured that this has been reported already and already being looked at."