cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Enforcing 10 minute wait time before you can re-enter and host a meeting

MeganJaneHunter
Listener

Why do I have to wait 10 minutes before resuming hosting my meeting? I am unable to re-enter the meeting I was hosting after the 40 minute call limit kicked in. This has happened twice today, in two different meetings, I receive a message  telling me I have to wait 10 minutes before I can resume hosting. Can you verify that this is now what you are officially doing? Are you now forcing people to either purchase a subscription or to look for other free video hosting communication platforms?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @MeganJaneHunter ,

I can confirm that this behavior is not an error message. Zoom is constantly innovating our product offerings and testing ways to support Zoom customersā€™ many use cases. To avoid a break in between future free basic meetings, upgrade to Zoom One Pro to enjoy the flexibility of hosting unlimited back-to-back meetings with no breaks.

Sharing a special offer below gifting your first 2 months free, plus enjoy 1 year of unlimited Whiteboard on us. Terms Apply. Get Offer.

Disclaimer:
This offer is only available to new customers purchasing a Pro Monthly Plan Online. This offer is not available to customers with pre-existing discounts. Maximum of 9 Monthly or Annual Licenses per Purchase. This coupon has no cash value and can only be used for up to 9 Pro Monthly or Pro Annual Licenses. Coupon must be redeemed by 2/28/2023 at 11:59PM PT and will be effective for 2 Monthly billing cycles. This cannot be combined, exchanged, or used in conjunction with any other offer. Please note that Federal, State and Local governments are not eligible for this promotion. These fees are exclusive of taxes.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

CarlaA
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @MeganJaneHunter ,

I can confirm that this behavior is not an error message. Zoom is constantly innovating our product offerings and testing ways to support Zoom customersā€™ many use cases. To avoid a break in between future free basic meetings, upgrade to Zoom One Pro to enjoy the flexibility of hosting unlimited back-to-back meetings with no breaks.

Sharing a special offer below gifting your first 2 months free, plus enjoy 1 year of unlimited Whiteboard on us. Terms Apply. Get Offer.

Disclaimer:
This offer is only available to new customers purchasing a Pro Monthly Plan Online. This offer is not available to customers with pre-existing discounts. Maximum of 9 Monthly or Annual Licenses per Purchase. This coupon has no cash value and can only be used for up to 9 Pro Monthly or Pro Annual Licenses. Coupon must be redeemed by 2/28/2023 at 11:59PM PT and will be effective for 2 Monthly billing cycles. This cannot be combined, exchanged, or used in conjunction with any other offer. Please note that Federal, State and Local governments are not eligible for this promotion. These fees are exclusive of taxes.

Carla,
Zoom Community Team

Carla (she/her/hers)
Zoom Community Team
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

This is ridiculous. I can u derstand a 1 min wait time, but 10 minutes!! Literally trying to force people to upgrade. 

I've now uninstall zoom across 3 devices and switched to Teams. People will just leave and use other platforms..messenger, Skype.. so many others.

Way to go Zoom!! 

gonna do the same, I can work with other platforms, no problem

No, you are not supporting  your customers. You are making them leave because the basic package doesn't  create revenue.

Rest assured, if I had any doubts about the value of subscribing, you have confirmed that with this intolerable rule (among the other things that have been annoying me for months), so you have lost me there. There are too many free or very affordable alternatives now, so I won't fall for this extortion, thanks

Well, I'm another customer you've just lost, and my daily Zoom with friend to read a book together (life-saving as I live alone and live with depression) will be no more.  Real shame as we usually need around 35-40 mins, max 50, so our second meeting, if needed, is short, but having to wait 9 mins will make it unworkable.  So for us ... Skype it is. 

I'd guess Zoom probably doesn't much care about losing me and other non-paying customers.  BUT, the bad feeling it creates may well cause a negative back-swell for you in the long run as, when word gets around - or even if we 'non-payers' move in some months or years into a business where we might have subscribed to a paid Zoom package - we won't.  The bad taste this leaves will mean that we'll go with another provider when given the choice.  Hopefully this feedback and that from others will get back to the management.  I guess it's unlikely it'll make any difference to your decision but perhaps enough feedback will give you pause for thought.

looks like I will be using google meets from now on 

upgrading is fair enough but for private users that only want to have a chat for a couple of hours once a week the price is extortionate , you should introduce a lower level subscription for say Ā£10 a year which allows users to spend say a maximum of 6- 10  hours a week with a maximum of 4 people on it - i'm sure you would generate a lot of income doing that

That's a really constructive suggestion gobbo - like it.  Good for you!

One more person that has dumped zoom and moved to other free alternatives.  The 10 minute re-entry time makes it unusable now.  I used to use it for 1:1 chats with friends. These constant reductions in features, even for free makes it non-viable for me. Used to be a big zoom user on a large, paid account, hence it was the easy thing to move to when I left them.

This sounds like the actions of an overzealous Gen-Z kid working behind the scenes. "I have a great idea that will make people pay us money!! Take away their ability to use the free version!!" 

What was that? Did you hear that noise? Was that Zoom's stock plummeting to its demise? 

You've lost another user in me, too. Deleted with glee. Goodbye, GarbageWare.

I see you're trying to FORCE people to pay. So, let me get this straight, that's now the way. You can offer other plans which suit different people's needs. I myself use ZOOM 3 hours per week with only 2 people and I need to keep the meeting on for more than an hour. Thanks to your ridiculous rule, I had to wait 10 minutes today which was quite embarrassing.  

If you want to gather some money from those who use basic plan, 

1: Offer services which cost small amount of money (12$ per year / 24 $ per year).

2: Accept Crypto transaction (BTC / USDT / XRP, etc.) because many  users who use basic version cannot transact with the U.S banks. 

Problem would be solved and every party would be happy. 

I have been using Zoom once a week on the basic plan with about 10 people for a meeting since 2020 when covid started. We do 2-40 minute sessions. Today 7/20/23 was the first time I was told without notice that I had a 10 minute wait. Now I either wait 10 minutes or sign up for Pro for $150 a year where people can have unlimited meetings with large groups of people. I know it has been free but why not a plan for smaller groups with less use? Google meets is atleast an hour, may change. Sorry Zoom!

Hi,

I, like most, know all my other options. But one wants one's voice to be heard. Thanks for listening.

vicarage
Listener

The 10 minute delay will mean my abandoning Zoom for my charity committee meetrings. Perhaps that's what you want.

ocher74
Listener

this is really ridiculous. they just enforced it today

isadman23
Listener

Dear Zoom,

I wanted to take a moment to bid you farewell. It has been quite the journey, but alas, our paths must diverge. As I reflect on our time together, I can't help but marvel at the sheer brilliance of your recent decision-making.

Your implementation of a 10-minute wait time after each meeting on the basic package is truly awe-inspiring. It's as if you have a deep understanding of the value of time and have graciously bestowed upon us the gift of waiting. How could I ever repay you for such a generous gesture?

Oh, the memories we shared, Zoom. The countless hours spent staring at my screen, waiting for those precious minutes to pass. It was truly a magical experience, one that I will cherish forever.

But alas, our love was not meant to last. Your ridiculous behavior has finally pushed me over the edge. I am now a happy ex of yours, free from the shackles of your time-wasting ways.

So, as I bid you adieu, Zoom, I hope that your company falls harder than the admiration I once had for you. Farewell, and may you continue to bring joy to others with your baffling decisions.

Sincerely,

A Former User

SRIyer
Listener

After nearly 4 years of using Zoom, I guess it is time to bid good bye. With the eye-watering subscription rates, I will not be using the pro version, as I use zoom mostly for 1-1 private conversations. And kicking people out of meetings for 10 minutes is just extortionary tactic IMO. You could have given a choice for basic users to get onto a more affordable package, for less than 3 or 4 people in a call... but then again, who am I to suggest what you do with your company? Thank heavens there is plenty of competition!

GDAR
Listener

I have been force to move to another provider. I have been a user for more that 5 years, but your rates are too expensive for natural people, these rates are for companies.  Very bad costumer service, you don't provide any alternative for people who work at home and have to pay for electricity, internet, facilities, etc. Too much. I will use WHEREBY!

Targeted
Listener

I am an 80 year old grandfather on a very limited pension who teaches each of my 2 youngest grandchildren separately, one right after the other on the same afternoon after school, every week. And this 10 minute delay is helping me and them how?

Carla, you, and especially management, since you are only the messenger, may want to watch this clip from the 1980 movie Airplane!, particularly the last two signage sections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfCgVW35kN4

studiomiguel
Listener

THANKS! I've been looking for a good reason to jump over to Google Meet for a while. I have and use a zoom pro account for work, but regularly use the free version just to chat with friends and family. No way I'm paying you guys more money. IMHO this is the beginning of the end. The only reason we started using this professionally was because a bunch of us already used it for free personal use. 

ligt04
Listener

i think they listened and they removed it yay

Where did you find that out? Thanks.