cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment of MSI with specific config

SimonH
Listener

Hi, 

I'm looking for some technical help on this. I'm trying to create a deployment package for Zoom, with some customisation using the specified parameters.

What I want to do is:

Enable autoupdates

Stop the MSI running if a meeting is in progress

No Desktop icon

set the SSO host to our domain

Set Zoom to auto start, and be in the System tray (ideally have these user changeable after install)

I believe I can use ZRecommend for the last line, but it doesn't seem to work as expected. Here's what I'm using in CMD

msiexec /i ZoomInstallerFull.msi /q /norestart ZoomAutoUpdate=true MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL=Disable ZNoDesktopShortCut=true ZSSOHOST=OURSSOLINK ZRecommend="ZoomAutoStart=1;zSilentStart=1"
Almost everything works, except the ZRecommend bits. If I remove the ZRecommend text and just have ZoomAutoStart=True that works (but Zoom is open, not just in the System Tray). If I add zSilentStart=True the check box for this in the settings is also selected, but the user cannot change this. I've also tried to use AutoStartInSystemTray , but that doesn't seem to make any difference (and notes it is for after a reboot, not a log in)

What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @SimonH, try to add “AutoStartInSystemTray=1“ in the ZRecommend and remove ZSILENTSTART and ZoomAutoStart.

There are the following limitaions If the user sets these settings at the same time, we will follow this priority: ZSILENTSTART > ZoomAutoStart > AutoStartInSystemTray > AutoStartAfterReboot

This also means these two settings cannot be set like this:

• Check “Start Zoom when I start Windows” and disabled
  • Uncheck “Silently start Zoom when I start Windows” and enabled

“Start Zoom when I start Windows” and “Silently start Zoom when I start Windows” could only be enabled/disabled at the same time.

Let me know if this helps! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @SimonH, have you looked into the KB article on Mass deployment with preconfigured settings for Windows for the Registry entries? 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

SimonH
Listener

Hi

Thanks for the reply...

Yes, I looked at that KB article. 

My deployment adds keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\ZoomUMX\ as noted, but whenever I tried to have the AutoStart and AutoStart in System Tray as optional (or user changeable) they did not seem to be on by default.
What would the required entries be to have these options ticked as standard, but for the user to be able to change them? or can it be done with the MSI parameters? The instructions on that KB imply I can do it with zReccommend but that was not the behaviour I saw.

We want Zoom to auto start in the system tray (or minimised) as a default setting, but to have the user be able to turn that off. Can you please let me know what parameters I can use on the MSI to do this, or what registry entries I should add to do it?

Cheers

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @SimonH, try to add “AutoStartInSystemTray=1“ in the ZRecommend and remove ZSILENTSTART and ZoomAutoStart.

There are the following limitaions If the user sets these settings at the same time, we will follow this priority: ZSILENTSTART > ZoomAutoStart > AutoStartInSystemTray > AutoStartAfterReboot

This also means these two settings cannot be set like this:

• Check “Start Zoom when I start Windows” and disabled
  • Uncheck “Silently start Zoom when I start Windows” and enabled

“Start Zoom when I start Windows” and “Silently start Zoom when I start Windows” could only be enabled/disabled at the same time.

Let me know if this helps! 

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

On a similar note I am just trying to get Zoom to start automatically not minimized to system tray.  I would like the box to be checked but allow the user to uncheck if needed. Is this possible? I tried just using ZRecommend="ZoomAutoStart=1" but it didn't do anything.

Thanks

SimonH
Listener

Hi RN,

Ah ha, using zRecommend="AutoStartInSystemTray=1" in place of ZSILENTSTART and ZoomAutoStart works like I wanted

Both the auto start, and auto start silently boxes are selected, but can be changed by the user.

Thanks for this

Simon

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

@SimonH amazing! 🙌

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his