cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot close popup window (Windows 10)

zoom_user4
Listener

This just started a couple weeks ago.  Whenever I host or join another person's zoom session, a zoom window pops up but I cannot close it.  Below is one from a event I joined last night.  The only way I can kill this popup is to go to the task manager and kill the process.

What happened, and how do I fix this?

Thanks.

zoom_user4_0-1664982486875.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ZoomTestKitchen
Community Champion | Customer

Confirming... so, when the attached Zoom window is on your desktop, you cannot click on the top-right "X" to close it?

Can you click on the other buttons such as Home, Chat, Meetings, etc. and are they functional?

Might just try to uninstall and reinstall Zoom just to take that variable away.

Jeff Widgren | Host of the Zoom Test Kitchen
@ZoomTestKitchen

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ZoomTestKitchen

Confirming... so, when the attached Zoom window is on your desktop, you cannot click on the top-right "X" to close it?

Can you click on the other buttons such as Home, Chat, Meetings, etc. and are they functional?

Might just try to uninstall and reinstall Zoom just to take that variable away.

@ZoomTestKitchen

zoom_user4
Listener

Right.  Clicking the 'X' just minimizes the window but does not close it.  It's then sitting in the system tray.

Other buttons appear to be functional.

I will uninstall and see what happens.

ZoomTestKitchen

Actually, the known and expected behavior when closing that window when you are logged into your Zoom account is to dock into the tray. If you are signed out, then it will close the app.

If it were to close the app while you're in a meeting, it would also take you out of that meeting. That's why it doesn't behave that way.

@ZoomTestKitchen

That's not how it worked before, and it isn't how it works after a re-install.

Yes, if I close the zoom app it should take me out of the meeting.  But once I'm out of the meeting, I should be able to (and now can) close the zoom app so it is no longer running.

ZoomTestKitchen

Just to confirm that when you leave a meeting, you're still signed into the Zoom client, you close that main Zoom dialogue window, and it closes that app verses docking it in the tray?

I would love for it to work that way at times, but I am unable to produce that behavior without first signing out of the client.

@ZoomTestKitchen

Well you know, I'm not a zoom super user.  I often join meetings when I get a link, and rarely start my own meeting.  When I use a link, it opens up in my browser, then triggers the zoom app, and then after some handshaking the meeting starts.  When I start my own meeting, I don't start the app.  I just go to zoom.us, login (usually always logged in anyway), then start a meeting.  The actions in the browser again open the zoom app and I proceed as before.

When my meeting is over, the app is still running and the zoom web page is still open.  I can (now) close them both.  Before I could only close the browser page but not the app, which I can do now.

That's how it works for me 

ZoomTestKitchen

I appreciate the clarification, it helps me understand more of what's happening.

@ZoomTestKitchen

zoom_user4
Listener

well yes, uninstall/re-install appears to have fixed it.

Thanks for the suggestion!