cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Yeti microphone not working on MacOS Monterey

schulzrinne
Listener

Since I upgraded to MacOS Monterey (12.0.1), my Blue Yeti microphone is not working when I start Zoom (latest - 5.8.6). However, if I switch to another microphone, such as the system (built-in) microphone, and then back to the Blue Yeti, it works fine. This didn't happen prior to upgrading MacOS. Anybody else have the same issue?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SeanTong
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

I have a Yeti X, it works great with zoom until I install Logitech G HUB(2022.2.9146),  it also has same issue with G HUB.

Open G HUB -> click Yeti -> back  -> click Yeti, Yeti disconnects from G HUB and keeps connecting in G HUB, I think it's an issue with logitech audio driver, then I try to uninstall G HUB, and remove all logitech audio driver, it works again.

Here my steps:

• Unistall G HUB, sometimes it says GUB is open when I remove it, so we have to force quit it from activity monitor app  
  • Remove the GHub plugin LogiGamingAudio.* from Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL
  • Remove logi_audio_override.kext from Library/Extensions (and/or backup_logi_override.kext)
  • Restart Mac

Of course , you can use the command line to do that. Open Terminal and run:

sudo rm -rf "/Applications/Logitech G HUB.app/"
sudo rm -rf /Library/Extensions/logi_audio_override.kext
sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/LogiGamingAudio.*

Here is the ticket on yeti related the same issue maybe you can have a look

View solution in original post

ChoPraTs
Listener

I experienced the same problem. It seems related to the Logitech G-Hub driver for Blue Yeti microphones.

I removed that driver and now my Blue Yeti X microphone is using the integrated driver of macOS and it seems to work without issues. Of course, doing these, all the "Blue Voice" effects and other settings that Logitech's G-Hub app allowed will no longer work, but the microphone should still be usable in its basic functions including volume control or mode change with its physical buttons.

To remove the Logitech G-Hub driver you just need to remove the file "logi_audio_override.kext" from the folder library/extensions of your system hard drive (I just moved it to a folder in my Desktop to keep a backup of the file).

I also used this command in Terminal to remove all the drivers I deleted and I will no longer use (if I'm not wrong, I think this removes a folder that works as cache of drivers):

sudo kextcache --clear-staging

After reboot the system, the microphone should now use the built-in macOS driver with no problem.

For now, my Blue Yeti X microphone seems to work without problems with macOS Monterey 12.2.1. I will maintain Logitech G-Hub installed hoping that sooner or later they will release an update that corrects the problem and be able to use its advanced equalization and profile functions again.

View solution in original post

95 REPLIES 95

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @schulzrinne , 

This is something that we would want to troubleshoot with our support organization. Would you be willing to connect with me and get a support ticket created? It is most likely an algorithm or some audio suppression software that is not vibing well with the new OS, but we would need to work with our Engineers and developers to see if that is the case. Is that something that you would be willing to do? 

Regards,

B

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion
Have you heard of Zoom AI Companion?

Certainly happy to connect and create a ticket. Fortunately, it's easily reproducible (at least on my system).

YaBoiB

Great, I will PM you. 

Thanks, 

B!

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hello!  This exact thing is happening to me as well, same circumstances: Blue Yeti after the Monterey upgrade.  Also, if I switch mic sources back and forth, then the mic starts working.  If I go into test audio settings though, it works there.  One last note, if I am in a meeting and get sent to a breakout room, it happens again when I enter or leave the breakout room.

Same exact problem here. 

Zoom: 5.9.3

rhorsmanCS
Listener

I am having the exact same problem as reinerleal. My details:

Zoom version: 5.8.6

MacOS version: 12.0.1

Mic: Blue Yeti X

The Yeti X is set as my default microphone in MacOS settings. When I start or join a Zoom meeting and run the sound test, with Yeti X selected I do not get microphone input, but if I switch to "same as system" I do. This is reversed for the next meeting I join (or if I go to a breakout room): "same as system" fails the sound test, but switching to "Yeti X" succeeds. This pattern repeats for all subsequent meetings: whatever was set in the previous meeting no longer works, but switching back does.

YaBoiB

Hello @rhorsmanCS @reinerleal ,

Are you using any software to control the Yeti Blue microphone Blue Software or Blue Sherpa? If so can you disable/uninstall the software, reboot with the Yeti microphone connected, and test again? Want to see if the microphone works without any additional software.

B!

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hello!  I wondered that myself, as I had Logitech G HUB installed.  I removed that software entirely and still have the issue.  I just double checked and don't believe I have any other software that is trying to manage the mic.

SeanTong
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Hi! @reinerleal , please check the "Blue Yeti microphone" input level in "Sound.app" when you find microphone deosn't work in zoom. Let's check if it is also a system issue 

SeanTong_0-1639707631006.png

Something that may have just worked: the Zoom app "check for update" links said I was up to date, but Zoom support said I was still behind. I used the download link on the zoom.us site instead, on their advice, and it seems to have fixed things.

http://zoom.us/support/download

The problem seems to be fixed after doing that, but I will continue to monitor.

My yeti mic also won't work with zoom but works with every other software and platform. Could you please help me figure this out? Thank you!

schulzrinne
Listener

Nope - doesn't work. Same build as before (5.8.6, 2879). Same behavior, too: Works fine the first time (and maybe second time) you start a session after launching the Zoom application, but then consistently fails.

Yeah, started a third meeting just now and it was back to the switching behavior.

@SeanTong so this is still occurring with a fresh Zoom install, no Blue or Logitech software installed, and with the Yeti chosen in MacOS sound settings.

SeanTong
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

Does Yeti has input level in "Sound.app" when the microphone deosn't work in zoom ?

schulzrinne
Listener

The interaction seems weird: when I start sound.app while Zoom is running, Zoom shows switching to the default (system) microphone and then the Yeti again, without any user interaction - and the Yeti works (since that's probably the same as toggling the microphone without the sound.app, so this isn't too surprising, although it's not clear why the sound.app briefly toggles the microphone input). But then the sound.app kills the Yeti completely.

SeanTong
Listener | Zoom Employee
Listener | Zoom Employee

@schulzrinne ,It's pretty strange, how about start sound.app  and select Yeti first, then observate the microphone status in Zoom, once it doesn't work in zoom, then check the input level in sound.app

schulzrinne
Listener

Only tried it with three consecutive sessions, but it seems that keeping the Sound.app open before and after starting Zoom keeps the Yeti microphone working. Really strange.

YaBoiB

Hello @schulzrinne @SeanTong @rhorsmanCS @reinerleal ,

Update on this! One of our fellow Zoomies tested the Yeti X on an M1 Mac Mini with v5.9.0 and could not replicate the issue. Mac Monterrey 12.1, but we are continuing to test the functionality of the Yeti (brands) including Blue. We purchased a few Yeti Blue to test with, so once our testing is completed I will post the results here. Thank you everyone for your efforts on this case. 

Regards,

B!

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

schulzrinne
Listener

Thanks for the hint! I just upgraded manually to 5.9.0 (3377), as it wasn't yet done automatically via my "Fast" upgrade choice, and the problem seems to be gone. I will continue to monitor for any relapse. 

rhorsmanCS
Listener

Some combo of the MacOS 12.1 update, the latest Zoom update, and the sound app trick seems to have cleared this for me as well!

YaBoiB

Hello @rhorsmanCS and @schulzrinne ,

I enjoy hearing those reports. My Yeti Blue came in the mail today {Santa Clause, I'm assuming} 😂 I am working today (volunteered), but I will be testing as soon as possible on my iMac. Keep me updated if you have any other issues. Happy to help you both! 

Happy Holidays. 

B!

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

MLAMATL
Listener

Same issue for me - I can't get this resolved. Incredibly annoying

YaBoiB

Hello @MLAMATL , 

I have a Yeti Blue on macOS Monterrey version 11.2 and Zoom version 5.9.1 (3506) and I have not been able to replicate this issue. Do you have a support ticket that you are currently working with our Support Org? I can take that ticket and work it as well. I am helping out another member of the Zoom Community with their issue. Happy to work on this for you as well!

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

yarko_w
Listener

Hi I have been having this issue since updating to Monterey. Currently using Version: 5.9.1 (3506) on my M1 MacBook Air. Using a Yeti Nano and as was mentioned above having the issues wether or not I am using the Logitech G Hub Software. Any fixes?

YaBoiB

Hello @yarko_w

At this time, we have a possible workaround until a solution is found. Attempt to leave the Sound.app running while in the meeting has worked for some users while on macOS Monterey. Apologies for your experience so far. This issue is still being investigated. If you do not already have a support ticket submitted. Please go to the Zoom Support page

Submit a ticket and reference this page, and the Support team can work with you to link to the Engineering case created for this issue. 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hello @yarko_w

I wanted to check in with you and see if you were able to get a support ticket created for your issue? 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

YaBoiB

Hello, 

Update: Can I ask everyone to update to version 5.9.1 (3506) and report back to me with the behavior that you are experiencing? We believe that we are close to finding the root cause. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

I am still experiencing this issue on Mac 5.9.1 (3506)

YaBoiB

Hello @shmfb

Would you be okay with us creating a support ticket on your behalf to troubleshoot with you? I can request that this be done on the backend. 

Regards,

Brandon

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Please go ahead and create a support ticket for me.

Running 5.9.1 (3506) and Monterey 12.1. First meeting of the day, everything worked. Second meeting went back to having to toggle mic input in Zoom to another mic before going back to Yeti for it to register sound.

Hello @YaBoiB, the issue is still there unless the "Sound.app" is open...

YaBoiB

@lkogot,

Yes, we are aware of this. The sound.app is the temporary workaround until a solution is provided. If you all would like to submit a Technical Support ticket and reference this page, our agents are aware of this and will link it to the appropriate ticket that I am working with our Team. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Just tried logging a ticket but can't get to any usable screen in the bot to submit anything that looks like a tech support ticket. Any tricks to bypassing the chatbot?

Still experiencing this too. Mac OS 12.1, Zoom 5.9.1. Painful! (and stumbled on this thread in troubleshooting)

Dudders_95
Listener

Hi all. I'm having similar issues but for me, it's a wider issue within the MacOS. 

I'm using zoom version  - 5.9.1 (3506)

MacOS Monterey - 12.0.1

Tried to select my Yeti X from the devices list, zoom panicked, kept changing the default device and then the Mic vanished from all sound Menus on the Mac and zoom chose the internal microphone. 

I've had similar issues when opening Adobe Creative Cloud Apps too. 

YaBoiB

Hello All, 

We have identified the issue, and we are working on a solution. Please standby for further information. Thank you to those who have provided assistance and logging from their Zoom Client. You have been accommodating. 

Brandon (he/him/his)
Zoom Community Champion

Hello, wondering if there is an update on the issue.  I am also experiencing it.