cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio looping after Monterey OS update

morning_soul
Listener

I am getting a short  ~1/2 second audio loop sporadically coming on calls well after they start.

Details:

Recently upgraded to Monterey OS on a new M1 chip MacBook Pro

Audio looping is only audible on the other end of the zoom call (not on my end)

This has occurred 3 times in the past week.  Twice with a user who was in a zoom room at our company.  Once with an individual using his laptop and headphones.

In all instances, this occurs well into the meeting. 20-40 minutes

Any others experienced this?  Would seem to be a software artifact rather than hardware since it is not present at the start of the meetings. 

17 REPLIES 17

raw_bean
Listener

I've had 2 instances personally in the last 3 months of the same issue.  Once on Big Sur and once on Monterey. The hardware is an M1 based MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020).

List of observations:

• The audio begins looping about 20-40 minutes into a meet.
  • It is not apparent to the presenter. As in - the presenter's audio starts looping and this is quite obvious to everyone else in the meeting but not to the presenter.
  • The audio loop interval itself is about 3-5 seconds.
  • Restarting Zoom does not help. The audio loop stops when the presenter leaves the meeting but carries on exactly as before when they rejoin the meet.
  • Logging in and out of the macOS session does not help. The audio loop stops when the presenter leaves the meeting but carries on exactly as before when they log in again and rejoin the meet.
  • The only remedy is a complete restart of the machine.

This qualifies as a significant problem when it occurs given its clearly disruptive nature and it would be good to get to the bottom of this. 

What is the route to a resolution for this kind of issue ?

Thanks

elnico
Listener

I just updated my Mac Book Pro mid-2015 to Monterrey 2 days ago and now the issue is happening in a daily basis. 

Observations:

• I am using headphones and suddenly sound and mic are down
  • Happens after a blurry and intermittent audio quality (20 minutes until the sound is off)
  • I have to connect and disconnect my AirPods to get audio and mic on 
  • With the system mic and speakers, there is no problem only while using Bluetooth headphones or AirPods.
  • It doesn't happen with any other app. 

Please I would like to know  a solution for this issue,

Thanks

PdEurope
Listener

I have had the same problem, daily for the last few days. One additional twist is that, after having trouble on one call, I closed (at least the call in) Zoom and switched to FaceTime, and the problem continued - the same loop that had started in Zoom. Also: muting in Zoom stops the loop for call participants.

morning_soul
Listener

Found a solution.

Turns out Logitech is aware of this problem and issued a firmware update intended to address the issue, but it doesn't seem to work.  They did suggest that the USB hub I was using could be the source.  Seemed unlikely since I'd had the same set up through all of COVID lockdown and 1000s of zooms with no problem. However the problem did arise when I upgraded to an M1 chip MacBook pro.

The solution turned out to be simply getting a USB-C to USB-C cable and routing the Brio camera directly.  Problem solved. Not ideal as it's one more thing to plug in, but it seems to work.  Good luck!

wolfdown
Listener

My only solution so far is unplugging  the usbC camera/mic and plugging back in ... but problem is recreated in 20-40 mins

raw_bean
Listener

I think that a common theme for the audio looping problem seems to be the use of an external camera ? I can confirm that I have not had the problem at all without the external camera on 3 different Macbook Pro M1s that I've tried. The problem manifests on all 3 eventually when an external camera is connected. The mitigation for me is always the same: A full power cycle. Nothing else works!

Quite catastrophic for public facing presentations (that's where its hit me more than once!).

Any pointers appreciated!

MarkV2
Listener

I can confirm that the fix is to connect the Logitech camera to the Mac using a USB C to USB C cable.  This was acknowledged by Logitech support.

Hi! If I have a Logitech StreamCam, 1080P HD 60fps Streaming Webcam with USB-C and Built-in Microphone

that has a USB-C coming out of it and one that plugs right into my Mac mini (with M1 chip), do you think they're suggesting that I get an additional USB-C to USB-C and run it through that? 

spf50
Listener

I have the same problem with a Logitech StreamCam plugged directly into a Mac Studio using the latest version of Monterey (12.4). To be clear, the StreamCam's own cable has a USB-C connector which goes right into a USB-C port on the Mac Studio. No hub, no adapter, no extra cable. 

Logitech suggested it might be a port problem but switching to different ports on the Mac Studio hasn't cured it permanently. (Unplugging and replugging cures it temporarily.)

But I don't think it's a Zoom problem since it happens in FaceTime, too.

I am having the same issue, this has happened 4-5 times in the past two days on my new Mac Studio

spf50
Listener

I contacted both Logitech and Apple. Of course, both asked for an audio clip. This wasn't easy since it happens sporadically and only the person on the other side hears it. But I finally got someone to record it for me. Here's a 22-second audio.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G5s5UfoejAIZnR4ae62zzKFhsQmXAf1h/view?usp=sharing

maidennet
Listener

Same issue for me - so frustrating.

I'm running a Mac Mini Core i5 and Logitech C920S Pro HD webcam

No firmware updates available for the webcam. The problem only started after installing Monterey.

Amit3
Listener

Hiiii

Bc11
Observer

Hi all. I am having the same issues as above, previously on my Mac mini m1 and now on my Mac mini m2. I use a logitech hd 1080p webcam. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

No solution, sadly. I used to turn the computer off and back on, but I’ve learned that just unplugging the camera from the Mac mini fixes the problem temporarily, which at least makes it less annoying. I can usually now just see the face of the other person on Zoom, know what is happening, and fix it before they even say something!

Thanks for the update. I will definitely keep that in mind when it happens again. If you do find a solution at some point, I would be great full it you could share. Thinking of buying a different brand webcam to see if it solves the issue 🤞🏼

spf50
Listener

Problem disappeared after I updated my M1 Studio to Ventura 13.1 so I'm thinking it was an OS issue.

I skipped 13.0 so no idea about that version. I had also tried a 2nd StreamCam that Logitech sent me with no difference in behavior. I also tried a different webcam (Kensington W2050) which did not exhibit the problem but it's possible I just didn't use it long enough because the mic was so inferior that I sent it back quickly.