cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio embedded in PowerPoint garbled and muted.

NickGessler
Listener

HERE IS THE PROBLEM! 

Audio in a PPT played in ZOOM is broadcast through the presenter’s computer’s speaker.
From there the computer’s microphone picks it up and sends it to your audience.
The transmission of the audio through the air to the microphone kills the volume by 90%!

ZOOM always transmits the audio it picks up through its default microphone or the microphone you plug in to your audience, If there is a software switch that electrically connects the audio-out to the audio-in, there’s no way to get around this. If you manage to find a way to make the connection, than you CANNOT also speak “live” to your audience.

I used to write complex systems and evolutionary applications in C++. However, I don’t know the inside outs of Zoom. I only use it as a participant in conferences, so I guess I’m using the application in Windows and not a systems developer kit.

It appears that a participant can share his one screen image and only one audio stream. Maybe there’s a software method to feed the audio stream embedded in PPT directly into the audio stream destined for the sharing audience? Or maybe I could do it with hardware plug-ins if I knew the schematics of the PC’s interior (i.e. how the internal PC mike and speakers are connected to the external sockets for and ad-on mike and headphone). And maybe there’s a way to build a mixer? The problem is that the audio from the PPT is transduced to an air-gap and transduced back into a digital signal. It’s the air gap that causes the problem. Anyway, that’s the only explanation that makes sense. Do you have a better one? I’ll keep experimenting…

Nick Gessler

2 REPLIES 2

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hi @NickGessler 

There is a better way! 

When starting the share (or during), there is the option to share computer sound with the screen you are sharing. This directs the audio of your PPT to go into the meeting with the shared visuals, as well as the audio from your mic.

I would recommend either using headphones (to isolate the PPT audio from your mic) or muting yourself during the audio in the PPT, otherwise you might get some feedback and double-audio. 

Hope that helps and please make sure to mark the solution as accepted if this information is what you needed.

I also have the audio distortion when sharing a PPT presntation. Using headphones makes no difference.

The audio setting, e.g. music mode, also seems to have no affect.