cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumbnail size is extra small.

Italiangen2022
Attendee

Hi,  Thanks for taking my question.  Can you tell me why the thumbnail is so small?  Does it have anything to do with the file size of the recording?  For example... GMT...... _ Recording_3840x2256

Italiangen2022_0-1666279581755.png

Thanks for your help

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer

Yes, @Italiangen2022, your company's Zoom Admin (an internal person, not a Zoom person) has access to the global settings.  There are settings for expanding individual camera resolution to HD (720) and FHD (Full HD at 1080), but these must be requested from Zoom, and there are very specific criteria under which HD and FHD camera feeds are sent.

See this Zoom Support article for specifics - you should probably pass this to your organization's Zoom admin:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207347086-Using-Group-HD-video 

It's not surprising that your 1.5 hour video is 9G, with a resolution of 3840x2256, since that resolution creates more than 4 times the pixels than 1920x1080, which by itself can easily generate a 2G file for 1.5 hours.  I highly recommend to NOT share a full screen with super-high definition, since this also results in 4x the video bandwidth for all of your attendees.  Anyone with marginal Internet throughput will surely be affected.

Ray - Need cost-effective Zoom Events Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !

View solution in original post

Ray_Harwood

Peter,

That HD setting only affects participant video, which normally is limited to 360p. Screen share always goes out as full native resolution, unless there is a bandwidth restriction which would cause Zoom servers to scale it down.

Also, look at the document I referenced earlier for specific situations where it will and won’t do HD or FHD, depending on the resolution granted by Zoom.  You must be in full screen mode for Zoom to share your camera video in higher resolution than 360.

Hang in there… There’s plenty to learn about Zoom!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ray_Harwood

Hi, @Italiangen2022,

I believe the pixel size of the speaker thumbnail is constant across the recordings. Because your screen share was super-high resolution, the relative size of the thumbnail does seem to be small.  The same speaker image on a traditional 1920x1080 screen share would be larger.

If you want to have great-looking post-event video, record on the Cloud with all of the detailed video types checked, then pull all of those into something like Adobe Premiere Pro or other editor, and place the speaker video where you want, at the size you want.

Hi Ray, 

Thanks for the clear explanation.  I do check all video views to be recorded and have done as you suggest; overlay and resize.  It is a 1.5 hour video and a 9Gb file.  That being said who control the higher quality video settings?  Is it the account manager?

Peter

Ray_Harwood

Yes, @Italiangen2022, your company's Zoom Admin (an internal person, not a Zoom person) has access to the global settings.  There are settings for expanding individual camera resolution to HD (720) and FHD (Full HD at 1080), but these must be requested from Zoom, and there are very specific criteria under which HD and FHD camera feeds are sent.

See this Zoom Support article for specifics - you should probably pass this to your organization's Zoom admin:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/207347086-Using-Group-HD-video 

It's not surprising that your 1.5 hour video is 9G, with a resolution of 3840x2256, since that resolution creates more than 4 times the pixels than 1920x1080, which by itself can easily generate a 2G file for 1.5 hours.  I highly recommend to NOT share a full screen with super-high definition, since this also results in 4x the video bandwidth for all of your attendees.  Anyone with marginal Internet throughput will surely be affected.

Italiangen2022
Attendee

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the education.

Just to set the stage, Italiangen has an Zoom educational account and I am the administrator and host for all of our webinars.  I have a few panelist for our webinars and I do not have any Groups established.

Last year I requested all of our meetings have a 1080p resolution.  So, if zoom gave us the higher resolution, where is the 3840x2256 coming from?

I always use full screen so that I don't get those black bars in the recording.  Is my thinking wrong here?

Thanks for all your help, really.

Peter

Ray_Harwood

Peter,

That HD setting only affects participant video, which normally is limited to 360p. Screen share always goes out as full native resolution, unless there is a bandwidth restriction which would cause Zoom servers to scale it down.

Also, look at the document I referenced earlier for specific situations where it will and won’t do HD or FHD, depending on the resolution granted by Zoom.  You must be in full screen mode for Zoom to share your camera video in higher resolution than 360.

Hang in there… There’s plenty to learn about Zoom!