cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing an account

barry6
Newcomer
Newcomer

My wife and I have been sharing a zoom account on two different computers.  When she tries to sign into the account, a blank screen comes up and she no longer has access to the account.

Has something changed with Zoom?

1 REPLY 1

Ray_Harwood
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

Welcome to the Zoom Community, @barry6.

Technically speaking, sharing accounts are against Zoom’s Terms of Service. But let’s refer to the account as a “family account” for a moment, to side-step that technicality.  Zoom does allow an account to be logged into from different devices, but there are restrictions. 

This Zoom Support article covers this topic of signing in on multiple devices, but in the context of Business and higher accounts:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0066990

I know the article doesn’t specifically include Pro accounts in the Prerequisite section, but I have a Pro account, and frequently log in from multiple devices, but primarily according to the highlighted portion of this statement:

Ray_Harwood_0-1721094800943.png

Signing in from on a second device using the same type of device frequently causes issues, simply because Zoom’s security system attempts to thwart the practice of sharing accounts.

You didn’t indicate that your account is a Pro account, but if it’s a Basic (free) account, there’s no real reason to share one account – they’re free!  I’d really recommend this, if your account is Basic. 

if your account is a Pro (licensed) account, do both of you need to schedule and conduct meetings over 40 minutes?  If not, you can add a Basic user to the overall account – you can have a Pro user and a Basic user in the same account.

If you both need to schedule meetings longer than 40 minutes – requiring a Pro account – there are approaches that could allow one of you to be the “main user” to schedule meetings, and the other person could join meetings and “Claim Host” using the Host Key. If you’re interested in that, here’s a Support article on Host Key:

https://support.zoom.com/hc/en/article?id=zm_kb&sysparm_article=KB0067063 

That’s a lot of information for you, and you’d have to determine what approach you’re really willing to follow. 

Ray - Need Zoom Events/Sessions Help? Visit Z-SPAN.com.
Please click Accept As Solution if this helped you !