cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom backgrounds not support on new Surface Laptop with a 12 core processor

mvuser
Explorer
Explorer

I have a new 7th generation Surface Laptop and zoom states that it does not support virtual backgrounds (or filters for that matter) on my device.  The specs for my laptop are:Processor Snapdragon(R) X 12-core X1E80100 @ 3.40 GHz 3.42 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.3 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, ARM-based processor
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touch points

Does anyone know what's up with this?  Am I to assume that zoom backgrounds will not work on my brand new laptop??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mvuser
Explorer
Explorer

I have found the solution to this - surprised that Zoom support did not suggest this.  I simply downloaded and installed the ARM version and now it is working with virtual backgrounds!  I had downloaded the 64-bit version originally not realizing that I had to download the ARM version to fully support all the features of zoom.  

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

mvuser
Explorer
Explorer

I have found the solution to this - surprised that Zoom support did not suggest this.  I simply downloaded and installed the ARM version and now it is working with virtual backgrounds!  I had downloaded the 64-bit version originally not realizing that I had to download the ARM version to fully support all the features of zoom.  

jvoisin
Explorer
Explorer

Is it still working?  I noticed that on my XPS 13 (9345) backgrounds were working great and then after an update, it now states "Your device does not support virtual backgrounds"

Currently on 6.1.6 (43767).. just curious if it stopped working for you too...  I can see in task manager / details that I am running the native Arm64 version too.. 

Sucks, since before when it was working it worked very well.. the NPU was actually handling most of the blur.. 

I am running Version: 6.1.1 (41705) and it is working. I have not updated and given what you have reported perhaps I will not upgrade.  As many manufacturers are moving to ARM chips I would expect Zoom to have this figured out.  I have noted that filters do not work but backgrounds do which was most important to me.

Same thing for me. Using Zoom 6.1.6 and can't get Virtual Background to work (except using the "green screen" option, which is horrible when we actually don't have a green screen).

And yes, I'm using zoom for Arm...

THe virtual background works well in other video call apps (google meet; MS Teams...).... 

I hope zoom can update and fix this. (my laptop is a Dell XPS 13 Snapdragon X Elite 10), and Windows 11 24H2.

Yeah.. I had thought it was an issue with windows update so I joined the dev channel, same issue.  I have the XPS13 as well, so going to likely do a fresh windows install anyhow. (typically do that when I get a new laptop anyhow just to get rid of crapware).. 

Funny thing is that it WAS working initially.. I remember noticing that the NPU was being used when camera was on and doing background change.. worked GREAT..  then boom.. stopped working.  I figured some sort of windows update made the PC no longer detected properly. am sure it's working but now the laptop is just not being detected as supported.. 

so now I am on

Windows 11 Pro: 24H2 Build 26120.1350

Zoom Workspace: 6.1.6(43667) (ARM64)

I'd appreciate if you let us all know here what happens after a clean windows install.

I normally do a clean install every time I buy a new laptop, but in this case I wanted to see how Arm behaved before I do a clean install. And the Windows 11 ISO file for Arm64 availability is still limited (in microsoft website below I could see the most recent being Insider Preview (Canary) 24H2 Build 26080)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewarm64

so i figured out what is causing this.  if you go into the SupportAssist and let it update drivers (chipset and camera) zoom will no longer support the system for virtual background. thankfully this time I did a restorepoint first.. but failing back to the restorepoint fails.. ha.. so for me it's wait till Zoom updates their definitions of what is supported or reinstall windows again..   never realized how unreliable system restore is.. 

Finally it was solved with today's update (Zoom 6.1.10). Now my Dell XPS 13 Snapdragon X ELite can work normally with Blur and Virtual Backgrounds (without the need to switch on the "Green Screen"). Great!!!

jvoisin
Explorer
Explorer

Switched back to 6.1.1 and no dice.  Maybe it was something Microsoft changed in an update.. Hardware wise they are going to be similar.. everything down to the webcams are qualcomm.. 

So watch if you get update from Microsoft I guess.. Hopefully this is sorted soon.  I suspect it is just a detection thing.. Zoom doesn't recognize something and falls back to 'not supported'.  Funny thing is that if I enable green screen it works fine, just not without it.

Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) CPU 4.01 GHz

Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU

Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Hexagon(TM) NPU

Qualcomm(R) Spectra(TM) 695 ISP Camera

Edition: Windows 11 Pro
Version: 24H2
OS build: 26100.1301
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.26100.11.0

STUNG
Newcomer
Newcomer

Hello,

I too am unable to get blurred backgrounds or virtual backgrounds to work, despite having bought a new laptop. I am not sure if it is a hardware issue or if Zoom hasn't updated their program to recognize my hardware. If anyone has a solution to this, please let me know.

I have a Galaxy Book4 Edge, with a Snapdragon X1E84100.

Have you tried downloading the ARM version?

it works now. thanks for your help. i wasn't even aware there are different versions for different PC chips. i will have to look into what other programs i am running that will require ARM versions.