cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

"Cannot decrypt message"

ShaunDJ
Listener

Hi Zoom Community

I updated my zoom last year in November I think. Soon after that on my group chats people's messages were coming through as "Cannot decrypt message". It progressively got worse across more and more of the members. across my team. I could read it on my mobile, but today I started to receive the same message on my mobile. In the interim i have uninstalled zoom and reinstalled but the problem persists. Does anyone have a solution for this?

5 REPLIES 5

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @ShaunDJ when using advanced chat encryption, there may be situations where a sent message cannot be decrypted and viewed. This is often due to both users not being connected at the same time and thus being unable to share the key that is used to decrypt the message. As soon as both users are online, the key will be automatically shared between them, and the message decrypted. 

If a message is sent and the user clears their chat messages or uninstalls the Zoom client before the message is decrypted and viewed, then the key that was used to encrypt the message(s) is lost and cannot be recovered. This means that the sent message cannot be decrypted, as the key to do so no longer exists on either device. 

Suggest looking into our KB on Setting up advanced chat encryption

āŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆāŽÆ
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? āž”ļø Check it out!

Hi

Thanks for your response. The problem is that we are both currently online and we will send a message in a live chat to each other it still happens. In the example below we were all online at the same time. The people whose messages were encrypted could not read the messages from from the other people. 

ShaunDJ_0-1672908216972.png

Hi, I am having a similar problem, both zoom users are currently online, and sometimes zoom can't even decrypt my own messages. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-13 at 2.54.26 PM.png

Jameswalter
Participant

This is often due to both users not being connected at the same time and thus unable to share the key that is used to decrypt the message. As soon as both users are online, the key will be automatically shared between them and the message decrypted.

ShaunDJ
Listener

Hi James

Thank you for your response. this is happening while both parties are online. It started with just me. This happened son after a zoom update. The rest of my company (about 30 people) did not have the issue. From about November the same thing was happening to people across my company. We at a point where zoom is not working for us and we currently creating chat groups on WhatsApp. Crazy.