cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS question

packergeek05
Listener

Hi. I'm trying to get an answer on this.

I'm looking to port my number over from another provider but I wanted to know if I have the ability to send direct sms messages to the phone number and from my phone number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Thats correct @packergeek05 You will send / receive all SMSs directly via your zoom app. See screenshot:

sachinzoom_0-1678753117856.png

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sachinzoom

Hi @packergeek05 

Yes you do from your Zoom phone App ( desktop or mobile ) in US/CA.  Here are the details to setup:

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360054631031-Setting-up-SMS

If this response helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution, so others can benefit as well.

So just to clarify. 

Say my number is 503-xxx-xxxx. I want my customers to be able to text to 503-xxx-xxxx. At 8x8 I couldn't send directly to my 503-xxx-xxxx number. But you're saying I can send and receive directly from the 503-xxx-xxxx line using the Zoom app from mobile or desktop?

sachinzoom

Thats correct @packergeek05 You will send / receive all SMSs directly via your zoom app. See screenshot:

sachinzoom_0-1678753117856.png

sachinzoom

Hi @packergeek05 

Hope your queries are resolved. Please let me know

arslanbutt
Listener

When porting your phone number to a new provider, the ability to send and receive SMS messages should not be affected. Porting a number essentially transfers it from one carrier to another, but the basic functionalities associated with the number, such as sending and receiving SMS messages, should remain intact.

Here are a few things to consider:

1. Porting Process: During the porting process, there might be a short period (usually a few hours to a day) where services like calls and messages may be briefly disrupted. However, once the port is complete, you should be able to use your number as usual.

2. Check with the New Provider: It's a good idea to check with your new provider to ensure a smooth porting process and to get specific details on any temporary service disruptions.

3. Messaging Apps: If you use messaging apps tied to your phone number (like WhatsApp or iMessage), you may need to update your number in those apps after the porting process.

4. Account Verification: If your phone number is used for account verification purposes (such as two-factor authentication), make sure to update it with your accounts once the port is complete.

Overall, the ability to send and receive SMS messages should not be impacted by porting your number. If you have concerns or specific questions, it's recommended to reach out to the customer support of the new provider for personalized assistance.