cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Character Limit

Astrolabe
Listener

Is there a setting to automatically split and send SMS messages that are over 160 characters?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FORE-Craig
Community Champion | Customer

Hi again @Astrolabe 

The message entry field show the number of characters exceeding the 500 character (including spaces) limit below. The message cannot be sent at all. See attached screen shot.

Craig

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FORE-Craig

Hi @Astrolabe 

From the support article Frequently Asked Questions About SMS:

When using Zoom desktop client or mobile app, each message can contain up to 500 characters.

Note: Each SMS message can contain up to 160 characters as this is the standard SMS character limit. When sending a message longer than 160 characters, the Zoom desktop client or mobile app will automatically segment the message. You will see a single message on the Zoom desktop client and mobile app, but your recipient may see several messages.

I hope that helps!

Craig

Astrolabe
Listener

What happens if the message is over 500 characters?

FORE-Craig

Hi again @Astrolabe 

The message entry field show the number of characters exceeding the 500 character (including spaces) limit below. The message cannot be sent at all. See attached screen shot.

Craig

It's 2023, not 2003...why can't Zoom send a text that's longer than 160 characters from the Zoom app on our phones? At our business, we frequently need to send longer texts to team members and colleagues. In one of your responses, you said "When sending a message longer than 160 characters, the Zoom desktop client or mobile app will automatically segment the message." But then in a later response, you said "The message cannot be sent at all." The latter has been my experience. But again, in 2023, this limitation is pretty much inexcusable. Will they fix it? If not, we'll probably have to cancel and start over with a different company provider provider.

gmasters
Listener

I believe Zoom has integrations w other SMS/MMS carriers such that you can retain Zoom Phone but the SMS, etc is flowed through to another provider (at least I know I read something about that in a setup doc somewhere-

fcainfo
Listener

I appreciate your reply and you taking the time. Still, in 2024 now, there’s really no excuse for this kind of limitation on a business solution (a paid service).