cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus

johnrose
Listener

Hello,
Yesterday I installed Zoom meeting client on a new ASUS Vivobook computer and joined my first meeting. About midway through (after about 20 minutes) little smileys (thumbs-up, baloon, etc.) started coming up the screen in a vertical line from lower right up to a third of the screen. One smiley group would come, then after perhaps a minute another. I left the meeting and the smileys kept coming. I rebooted the computer and uninstalled Zoom client, not sure yet whether the smileys have stopped. It looks to me like a virus (unless a part of your client?). Please advise what to do. Thanks and best regards, John

2 REPLIES 2

johnrose
Listener

Hello again, Although I had installed Zoom meeting client I am not sure that the virus/smiley problem came from the client. I joined a meeting through a url provided by the organizer and perhaps I was connected through my default browser firefox and not through the client? At any rate, when I left the meeting I was in a blank Firefox screen with the smiley's still coming. Could someone advise please? Thanks so much, John

Hello again,

I guess that I should have specified that I am working under Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I uninstalled the Zoom meeting client for Ubuntu, and then had no access to Zoom through a meeting url, and just now reinstalled it and had access to Zoom. So my conclusion is that there was never any Zoom extension in Firefox, and that the little smileys climbing up the screen had to do with either the Zoom meeting client for Ubuntu or with regular Firefox. In the couple of weeks without Zoom meeting client installed there were no climbing smileys in Firefox, and there were none during the half-hour meeting I just had through the Zoom meeting client. I did a virus scan with the ClamAV package and found nothing which might explain the smileys.

So the climing smileys are still a big mystery. I guess it is possible that the smileys are in the Zoom meeting client to warn that free time is running out, but unlikely since they really look unprofessional for this purpose, and I can't see anything relevant to this phenomenon on the web. It would be very nice if someone could comment so that we could start a discussion on this?

Thanks and best regards, John