cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom Desktop Application Will Not Launch (Windows 10)

B_Potter
Listener

When installed, the Zoom desktop app (v. 5.17.0) will not launch. No desktop icon appears after installing (though the app items appear in the "Apps" list and in the "Apps" control panel). When attempting to launch, no item appears in the Windows Task Manager; the Windows "donut of eternal contemplation' appears for a few seconds; then it disappears. I have tried:

* Checking internet connection - It is fine

* Cleaning up all temporary and junk files

* Performing scans with virus, malware and spyware scanners

* Rebooting system

* Checking to make sure camera and microphone permission are set properly

* Emptying temporary file folders and performing disk cleanup

* Making sure device drivers are updated

* Launching installer as Administrator
* Uninstalling ALL antivirus and security software

* Closing all applications except the Zoom desktop installer

* Uninstalling and reinstalling the Zoom app from "Apps" control panel

* Using the Zoom Uninstaller to uninstall and then reinstalling the app

* Downloading the installer again, from the official website, and installing

* Uninstalling all Zoom components, rebooting and reinstalling

* Clearing browser cache and cookies

* Booting into "Safe Mode" and repeating the install process
* Checking system requirements - System exceeds requirements
* Checking if system has enough space to install Zoom - System exceeds requirements
* Verifying permission to install the Zoom app - I am an Admin

Under no circumstance or combination of circumstances above will the application launch. I saw a recent post suggesting that this was a problem with version 5.16.x, so I tried to find and download version 5.15.11, which worked for the post'er but could not find it on Zoom's site (though I did find infected versions on other, spurious websites, which I did NOT download or install).

I would be grateful for any suggestion that would help me get the Zoom Desktop app to launch and run. Thanks, in advance, for the time you spent reading this and for any suggestions you  might have.

It is truly amazing that, in the process of selecting locations and topics in order to create a post, there is no category whatever for installation and troubleshooting issues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

timtak
Listener

I am having the same or similar problem

I can't launch zoom meetings on my Windows 10 PC from Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge nor from the Zoom application short-cut in my task bar. Nor from Typing Zoom in my start menu and selecting the Zoom application. Zoom does not appear to be running as a background process nor service in my (Ctrl ALT Delete >) Task Manager.

My PC runs Japanese Windows. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Zoom today 2024/3/4

No sorry. Olny 134Kb of file downloads (but it says it is completed) and the installer stops at 1%. In Chrome the exe files is marked as "Deleted" and in Firefox the file is listed as "moved or missing." I tried turning off my antivirus (IKARUS anti virus) but the same thing happened. The install stops at 1% and the file is thereafter listed as "Moved or  missing." I attach a screen-shot of the Firefox Download history tab.

Aha. I googled download zoom, rather than simply click the download link on the Zoom metting launch page and was directed to
http://zoom.us/download
which results in the download of a 86MB (ZoomInstallerfull.exe)

When I clicked on install Zoom my (this firefox) browser became unresponsive for a while. I saw no installer bar. I will now reboot to see if Zoom has installed in the background but I think not. The Firefox tab just shows that the ZoomInstallerFull.exe download has completed.

Rebooting after attempting to install did not help. My wife's computer, adjacent, also running Windows 10 in Japanese did manage to get into the meeting (after downloading and installing Zoom 5.17) so I will use that in my meeting today.

I am trying turning off Antivirus (IKARUS) and reinstalling the ZoomInstallerFull.exe a Zoom installer screen is displayed saying Initialize and the bar reaches the right at the bottom but the Intialize screen disappears and nothing else appears. The zoom link in my task bar and Zoom launch meeting button in Chrome and Firefox are still unresponsive. I have never experienced this before.

Tim

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

timtak
Listener

I am having the same or similar problem

I can't launch zoom meetings on my Windows 10 PC from Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge nor from the Zoom application short-cut in my task bar. Nor from Typing Zoom in my start menu and selecting the Zoom application. Zoom does not appear to be running as a background process nor service in my (Ctrl ALT Delete >) Task Manager.

My PC runs Japanese Windows. I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Zoom today 2024/3/4

No sorry. Olny 134Kb of file downloads (but it says it is completed) and the installer stops at 1%. In Chrome the exe files is marked as "Deleted" and in Firefox the file is listed as "moved or missing." I tried turning off my antivirus (IKARUS anti virus) but the same thing happened. The install stops at 1% and the file is thereafter listed as "Moved or  missing." I attach a screen-shot of the Firefox Download history tab.

Aha. I googled download zoom, rather than simply click the download link on the Zoom metting launch page and was directed to
http://zoom.us/download
which results in the download of a 86MB (ZoomInstallerfull.exe)

When I clicked on install Zoom my (this firefox) browser became unresponsive for a while. I saw no installer bar. I will now reboot to see if Zoom has installed in the background but I think not. The Firefox tab just shows that the ZoomInstallerFull.exe download has completed.

Rebooting after attempting to install did not help. My wife's computer, adjacent, also running Windows 10 in Japanese did manage to get into the meeting (after downloading and installing Zoom 5.17) so I will use that in my meeting today.

I am trying turning off Antivirus (IKARUS) and reinstalling the ZoomInstallerFull.exe a Zoom installer screen is displayed saying Initialize and the bar reaches the right at the bottom but the Intialize screen disappears and nothing else appears. The zoom link in my task bar and Zoom launch meeting button in Chrome and Firefox are still unresponsive. I have never experienced this before.

Tim

storyhub
Community Champion | Customer
Community Champion | Customer

There is still some critical info missing. Need to know the manufacturer make and model of the computer and the specific version of Windows that is running. You can run msinfo32 to see the current version info. I have seen where HP has drastically altered Windows OS on certain models to the point of not working correctly with Zoom. There are numerous other conditions that can corrupt Windows including failed updates, bad sectors on the drive, and malware that does not get seen by anti-virus programs. Just the other day I had to reinstall Windows on a clients computer because he got hijacked by social engineering which anti-virus did not stop. There are so many possibilities that without seeing the specific computer it is difficult to guess the cause. But it is obvious that something is not right with the OS. You may want to consider having it looked at by an IT expert.

Dear Storyhub

Thank you for your response.

I feel that there is a lot of critical information that I and the OP have not stated. However, running msinfo32.exe I find the system information of my 14 year old self-built PC to be (My system is Japanese so most of the below is poorly translated to English)
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.19045 build 19045
Other OS details      unavailable
O manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System name    6CORES (misnamed by me! because the machine has only 5 cores I now see)
System Manufacturer    System manufacturer
System product name    System Product Name
System type    x64-Base PC
System SKU    To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor    AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1065T Processor、2900 Mhz、5 Cores
BIOS Version and Date    American Megatrends Inc. 1703, 2010/11/16
SMBIOS Version    2.6
Built in controller v ersion    255.255
BIOS Mode    Legacy
Base board manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Base board product    M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3
Base board version Rev 1.xx
Platform role Desktop
Secure boot condition unsupported
PCR7 Structure    Non bindable
Windows Director    C:\WINDOWS
System directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    Japan
Hardward abstraction layer    Version = "10.0.19041.3636"
Username    6cores\Secret
Time Zone Tokyo
Installed physical memory (RAM)    7.00 GB
Total physical memory     7.00 GB
Usuable memory    710 MB
Virtual Memory    20.0 GB
Usuable virtual memory    10.9 GB
Page file empty space    13.0 GB
Page  file    C:\pagefile.sys

I have been using Zoom on this computer for several years and have not had any event that tempts me to think that I have a virus, socially engineered or otherwise.

Rather than something having changed with my computer, I suspect that some Zoom update has left my old PC behind in some way. This possibility is weakly suggest by the presence of the OPs recent post.

The Zoom log file folder is empty.
C:\Users\Secret\AppData\Roaming\Zoom\logs

I see that by clicking on the "Having issues with Zoom Client? Join from your browser" link allows me to Join the zoom meeting in a browser window. This is not ideal but it is an improvement.

Tim

Timtak, with respect, it is not good forum manners to piggyback on someone else's post by adding your own question or problem, no matter how similar you think it may be. It adds confusing and often conflicting conditions to the discussion, making it much more difficult (or even impossible) for those trying to help the original poster to resolve the problem. It is considered good forum behavior to post your own thread for your own problem, including your own system, conditions and symptoms so that others can more easily address your issue. This is discussed in forum etiquette.

In this case, trying to hit "reply" to tell you this, the button for "Accept as Solution" moved over as I clicked and when I inadvertently clicked a second time, it accepted this as a solved problem. There appears to be no way to undo that, so I'll have to start over with a fresh post.

Please adhere to good forum behavior. Thanks.

timtak
Listener

Dear B_Potter

I am of the opinion that "piggybacking" allows similar issues to be dealt with together, increase the chance of their being solved, and pin-points issues that are problematic to more than one user.

However, since on these forums (and perhaps all forums with a single "Accept as Solution" chosen by the OP) it is considered poor etiquette I will refrain from piggybacking here in future.

I am finding it difficult to feel culpable for the fact that you selected d"Accept as Solution" rather than "Reply", but I am sorry that you have to start over with a fresh post. From my point of view, I would be grateful if you would mention that others (me) are facing a similar issue, but as you see fit.

Sincerely

Tim
Timothy Takemoto

Lloyd3
Listener

I found an actual solution, don't install the latest version...
Here's what I did:

uninstalled the corrupt latest version,
then I went here: Older versions of Zoom Workplace (Windows) | Uptodown and downloaded a 5.17.x version

installed it

make sure to TURN OFF "KEEP IT UPDATED"

and now it works as expected, like it used to