cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

passcode link

RaffiBTC
Listener

How is a meeting link with the passcode embedded in it any different than a regular old meeting link? If someone has the link, they can get in, and if not, not. I'm not sure what the passcode-embedded link adds to anything. ?

6 REPLIES 6

Bort
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

When you embed the passcode into the meeting link, users are not prompted to manually enter the passcode. If you send the link and passcode separately, the user will click the link to join the meeting, be asked to manually enter the passcode, then can join the meeting or waiting room (depending on your settings). With the passcode embedded, they click the link and join the meeting directly. 

My question is what is the difference between a passcode-embedded meeting link and a link for a meeting with no passcode at all?

Bort

Without the passcode: zoom.us/j/827388*****

With the passcode: zoom.us/j/827388*****?pwd=Unp5dHNMY21S*****JpT1NkOEQ3Zz09

As you can see, the passcode is added to the end of the link, as encrypted text. 

But what difference does it make? 

If I create a meeting that does NOT require a passcode, then if you have the link you can get into the meeting and if you don't then you can't. 

If I create a meeting that DOES require a passcode, then if you have the passcode-embedded link you can get into the meeting and if you don't then you can't. 

What's the difference?

TeresaS19
Listener

If you DON’T embed a passcode, anyone with the 11-digit Meeting ID can get into the meeting whether or not they have the link. 
When you embed a passcode, only people who have the link can get in. If they only have the Meeting ID, they will be asked for a passcode. 
Helps avoid Zoombombers and other unwanted attendees. Protects privacy. 

* IF * they only have the Meeting ID, they will be asked for a passcode.