cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annotation tool missing for iPad user's screen share

Martian
Listener

The annotation tool is missing when an iPad/tablet user shares their screen, help!

10 REPLIES 10

MarthaR
Listener
I have the same problem. Zoom Admin Account Settings for Meetings (Basic) describes Annotation:
Allow host and participants to use annotation tools to add information to shared screens

This appears to not be true. I’m sharing my screen but in truth I CANNOT use annotation tools to add information to the shared screen. I’m very distressed that further information and qualifications are not provided. I’ve spent hours researching your support files and reading about this annotation feature. It seems I'm not alone. 

This is the reply I got: "You can share your entire screen on an iOS device running iOS 11 or higher. This allows you to share apps and other content. You cannot annotate when sharing your entire screen via iOS."

It would appear that there's an inconsistent use of the term "shared screen".

_GR
Listener

@Martian @MarthaR , it looks like there is a support page about this (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005706806-Using-annotation-tools-for-collaboration), which says "You cannot annotate when sharing your entire screen into the meeting via iOS device. You can only annotate when sharing a portion of your screen." This support page was suggested by a Moderator on a similar post (

https://community.zoom.com/t5/Primary-and-Secondary/annotation-using-ipads/m-p/27839#M294). 

My question is how does one share "a portion of your screen" on an iOS device or is this actually indicating that one must select any other Share Content option other than the [Screen] option.

KC4
Listener

Up till now, already 6 months after the issue was first raised. but there is still no solution and I am still facing the same issue.

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hey @Martian @KC4 @MarthaR  sorry for the delayed response, but I just thought I'd check in. Are you still having trouble with this? In that case, I want to assist! 

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Have you heard about Zoom AI Companion? ➡️ Check it out!

Hi. I need an answer for this too. I want to annotate on the screen when someone shares from an iPad. It says on your help page you can only annotate if you share a portion of your screen but it shows nowhere on how to do it. Can you please explain immediately 

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @A04laana when sharing screen you can only show a Portion of Screen on desktop when sharing screen. More info here

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

I'm also having the same problem @RN 
When I share my screen with the Ipad, the annotate tool does not show. I have verified that it is enabled on my zoom settings and I can use it normally on my desktop. The Ipad seems to be the issue.
All of us in this page have already read the article you linked. There's nothing there that gives us a solution.
Your last reply also does not give any solution or answer. Am I to understand that Zoom does not offer the annotate option on Ipad only desktop?

If there is a way to use the annotate tool  on Ipad please give us a complete answer if not then just tell us that Zoom hasn't provided this for it's users yet.

Please don't reference these articles as they are useless for this particular issue:
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/115005706806-Using-annotation-tools-for-collaboration

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362153-Sharing-your-screen-or-desktop-on-Zoom#:~:text=H...

RN
Zoom Moderator
Zoom Moderator

Hi @pmmattos apart of those redirects that I supplied are redirected to the knowledge base article on using annotation for all available devices; specifically using annotation for iOS, suggest looking into the iOS collapse-dropdown within the knowledge base article. 

Note: if you are not the Host, the host may've disabled annotating when sharing screen as well. 

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 2.29.06 PM.png

Zoom Community Moderator
he/him/his

Tari92
Listener

I think you missed the problem here @RN . The problem is if the host is iPad user, then the students or audience can't annotate on the file we share. We can't even find the allow enable/disable annotate button in iPad. 

Is the zoom already provided allow annotate button for iPad user?

MJArch
Listener

Woww…That’s really interesting! Zoom support doesn’t understand the problem let alone providing solution for it. 
I experience the same issue and it’s really annoying. Every time I have to apologize to my clients that they can’t annotate my screen because I shared my iPad screen. Then someone else shares their screen and everyone is able to annotate. This is a major major flaw for a leading application like Zoom, and no one seems to have any solution for it.