cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom crashing while screen sharing

tstamper
Listener

Hi, my end users are having a problem where Zoom is crashing whenever they try to screenshare. This is happening to multiple different people, on multiple different types of laptops. Whenever they begin screensharing, the call will typically be fine for another 5-15 seconds before "Zoom has quit unexpectedly due to an error". I have tried reinstalling Zoom, as well as disabling advanced processing settings in the video tab.

The main thing I have noticed is that when they screenshare in a call by themselves, Zoom does not crash. But as soon as someone else joins the call, it crashes shortly after.

If it makes any difference, I believe we are subscribed to pro.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tma2020
Listener

I just fixed it.. When I first downloaded Zoom back in 2019 it only gave the option to download the 32 bit version.

Ever since that I've been only updating the 32 bit version. Never switched to the 64 bit..

All you gotta do is install and download the 64 bit version. And voila Screen sharing problem or crashing GONE.

How do you know whether you already have the 64 or 32 bit. Go to Task Manager and and then go to processes and then if the Zoom application says 32 bit next to it, then you have the 32 bit version. If it doesn't say anything then you have the 64 bit.

So for all those who have been using Zoom for years it's a compatibility problem with your 32 version of Zoom with 64 bit windows and your welcome.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bella11
Listener

I am experiencing the same issue. Any tips would be appreciated. 

sachinzoom
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

sachinzoom

Hello,

Please try the troubleshooting tips: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/8976119235725-Screen-sharing-is-not-working#h_01GCAXGS5MA7...

If this does not resolve the issues, Please open a ticket (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000996591)

If this helps, please accept the answer as an accepted solution.

Myrona
Listener

Hi Tstamper, By any chance, were you able to fix this issue? We are experiencing the same issue with screen sharing. several users in our firm have reported this problem. As soon as they click screen share, the Zoom application crashes. My IT team has been able to reproduce it as well on a test machine. 

Unfortunately no. I believe I have some potential solutions - however a lot of my workforce is remote so I will have to wait until Monday to test anything for sure. I was unable to reproduce the issue on multiple test systems but we have multiple users with the issue. 

My advice would be; try enabling TCP connection for screen sharing, try disabling all hardware acceleration (both in advanced video and advanced screen share settings), changing video rendering method in video settings to DirectX 9, also changing screen capture mode to "Legacy systems" in screen share.

I can't guarantee any of this will work, I have had slight success with enabling TCP connection, as it fixed the problem for a bit but then came back. I believe directx9 has the best odds of actually doing something, alongside changing the screen capture mode. 

Ok, thank you tstamper. We have tried much of what you've suggested. We do have a ticket open with Zoom support's tier 2 team, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. 

Tma2020
Listener

I just fixed it.. When I first downloaded Zoom back in 2019 it only gave the option to download the 32 bit version.

Ever since that I've been only updating the 32 bit version. Never switched to the 64 bit..

All you gotta do is install and download the 64 bit version. And voila Screen sharing problem or crashing GONE.

How do you know whether you already have the 64 or 32 bit. Go to Task Manager and and then go to processes and then if the Zoom application says 32 bit next to it, then you have the 32 bit version. If it doesn't say anything then you have the 64 bit.

So for all those who have been using Zoom for years it's a compatibility problem with your 32 version of Zoom with 64 bit windows and your welcome.