What's New at Zoom? Join our upcoming webinar to get you a first-hand look into some of our exciting new product and feature releases.

Register Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 11 Sound issue Zoom 5.11.1

JeremyJHU
Listener

I was working with a customer who had a brand new Dell XPS 15 9520. They are experiencing a problem with audio as follows:

1. Audio works completely fine (mic and speakers) outside of Zoom

2. When joining a Zoom meeting through their Outlook calendar, Zoom seems to disable the audio devices altogether. Zoom says that it is unable to detect audio devices and to switch to another device. This issue persists after the meeting has ended and then the PC will not play any audio. The sound devices are still listed in the device manager. 

3. When the PC is rebooted, the audio comes back. When starting a meeting from the Zoom desktop client, the problem does not occur. This seems to only occur when the meeting is joined via invite link on an Outlook calendar.

For troubleshooting:

1. Reinstalled Zoom desktop client and Zoom Outlook plugin from zoom.us

2. Uninstalled NVIDIA audio driver

3. Installed realtek audio driver 6.0.9285.1 from dell.com/support.

I have not seen this issue on any Windows 10 device that I support, only this Windows 11 system. Has anyone experienced something similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kschne29
Listener

Thanks again so much Brandon. I called Dell support today and we were able (so far) to solve the problem. Here's how we did it, in case anyone else encounters the same problem:

here’s how we fixed it::

• Control panel
  • Search: sound
  • Click manage audio devices
  • Select speakers and then click “properties”
  • Click on the advanced tab
  • Then under “signal enhancements” – uncheck “enable audio enhancements”
  • Hit apply

Will update this post if the fix doesn't hold, but hopefully this will work for anyone else too. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

YaBoiB
Community Champion | Zoom Employee

Hello @JeremyJHU

This is a pretty common issue here at Zoom when a new OS is incorporated into our software. I would check with NVIDIA on their page and see if they have a new driver for that system. Zoom uses some pretty aggressive compression algorithms to suppress outside noise in a Zoom meeting and we see from time to time that a new driver is needed when a system is updated to a new Windows or mac OS. 

I hope that this helps. 

Regards,

Brandon

If this response was helpful for you, please do not forget to click on the accepted solutions button!

kschne29
Listener

that's super helpful Brandon! we actually uninstalled the Nvidia driver because it isn't the sound system and we thought that was interfering, but it didn't fix the problem unfortunately. The softward is RealTek and we reinstalled the latest driver but that did not fix it. I will post the issue on their support page too, but is there anything that can be fixed on the zoom side?

Thanks!
-Kate

YaBoiB

Hi @kschne29

I mean we can take logging from the machine and review the logs, but that has to be done through a Support Ticket to our Technical Support Engineers. If this does turn out to be a Zoom bug the Engineering team will fix it in the next release, but typically we find that it is the machine and not the Zoom software. We have extensive testing done by our QA team on all OS's before releasing it to the public. I am not seeing an uptick in Windows 11 issues at the moment on our side. This does look like a one off situation to me at this point. 

That said, we are dedicated to delivering your user happiness and our team will work with you to get this resolved as soon as possible. 

Kind Regards, 

Brandon 

If this response was helpful for you, please do not forget to click on the accepted solutions button!

kschne29
Listener

Thanks again so much Brandon. I called Dell support today and we were able (so far) to solve the problem. Here's how we did it, in case anyone else encounters the same problem:

here’s how we fixed it::

• Control panel
  • Search: sound
  • Click manage audio devices
  • Select speakers and then click “properties”
  • Click on the advanced tab
  • Then under “signal enhancements” – uncheck “enable audio enhancements”
  • Hit apply

Will update this post if the fix doesn't hold, but hopefully this will work for anyone else too. 

Another thing to keep in mind: If you run anything like Dell's SupportAssist's Scan hardware, it will reset this to the default, and you'll have to uncheck it again.  

This solution is working for me, but I'm having a related issue. I am unable to share system sound. If I share a video with sound I hear it but others do not. The Share Sound & Optimize for video clip boxes are checked. I tried setting my system to mono; no change. I tried setting the speaker format from 24 bit to 16 bit; no change. I tried sharing music only; no shared sound. The Zoom tool bar for "You are screen sharing" shows the icon of a speaker indicating "You are sharing sound from your computer".  Do you have the same issue? Even though this seems to be related to this original issue, maybe it should be treated as its own. If the moderators think, I will start a new conversation.

TimP1
Listener

I also have a new XPS 15 9520. I'm having a similar issue with sound on Zoom. Everything seems to be fine until someone shares a screen that has sound like a video or music. Then I lose sound. If I go to select different  speakers even though I don't have any it show another instance of the same Realtek speakers. Selecting it most of the time I have sound again. I made the change you suggested in the Control Panel. I will update this thread with how it goes.

TimP1
Listener

I was in a meeting tonight and I applied the steps that kschne29 posted in the Control Panel. It worked. I was in a meeting for over an hour with several videos shared and no issues. I hope it holds.

YaBoiB

Hello @TimP1  and @kschne29

That is fantastic news. Thank you so much for sharing. Can one of you please hit the accepted solutions button on the bottom right-hand corner? What that button does is if another customer types in any keywords on the support page for Zoom, it will direct them to this thread. 

I appreciate you listing the solution here. People often resolve the issue and do not tell us the fix. This information will help countless other users, and I thank you! 

Best regards,

Brandon

TimP1
Listener

I would be happy to mark as accepted solution, but I don't see any such button anywhere on the page. I'm signed in.

kschne29
Listener

same

YaBoiB

Hello, 

Thanks for letting me know. I will check with the moderators about this. 

Brandon

YaBoiB

Hi @TimP1  & @kschne29

Ok, only the author or a Community Champion or Moderator can use that button. I will go ahead and click the button on the author's behalf. 

Thanks again, 

Brandon